Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Work Lunch – Sandwich Alternatives
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Black spaghetti, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and basil leaves. Crusty bread with it is good. Cook spaghetti the night before, stick it ina a plastic box and coat with olive oil keeping it edible for next day’s lunch
    Lidl do black spaghetti from time to time, stained with cuttlefish ink and has a slightly seafoody taste.
    Not only delicious, but looks utterly vile.

Cougar

Throw all in pig pan, simmer for 40 minutes to cook the rice, cool and put into pots or bags for the week.

You want to be a little careful with this, you can get surprisingly potent food poisoning from reheating cooked rice. You need to make sure it spends as little time as possible lying around at room temperature, and make sure that it’s properly reheated.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not sure that this will inspire anyone, but my default is:
    Pour half a pack of Ainsley Harriet’s finest couscous in bottom of Tupperware; cover with boiling water, go away and do something else;
    Come back and fluff up couscous;
    Pour half a tin of chickpeas on top;
    Mash a tin of salmon on top of that.
    Not very exciting but piece of cake to make, reasonably filling and inexpensive. Your welcome

That’s pretty much one of my non-sandwich work lunches too. But usually substitute salmon with tuna/mackerel/sardines in tomato sauce. Also savoury rice/beans/chicken works well.

Eating sandwich is like eating cardboard stuff with plastic sheet of artificial meat. They are so disgusting even the homeless people don’t want to eat them

Nowadays my lunch is Gregg or local chip shop or Milligans or I starve

This is a joke, surely.

I guess it depends what you put in your sandwiches but mine don’t taste of cardboard and plastic. Homeless people would love mine, even the fussy ones 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrJ

Aldi Specially Selected Vine Tomato & Lentil Soup winner of gold medal in the grocer food & drink awards.

But that requires going to Aldi. The noise, my dear, and the PEOPLE!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator 
    You want to be a little careful with this, you can get surprisingly potent food poisoning from reheating cooked rice.

Quick cool and freeze.

The danger is if you leave warm rice sitting around at room temperature for a while which allows the bad bacteria to form. Even in fridge or frozen, and subsequently cooked, the bacteria survives.

Cooled and frozen fast enough and it will be okay. Wouldn’t leave in the fridge for more than a day though.

Though it depends if the problem bacteria spores are present in those grains of rice.

funkmasterp

Some top ideas for next week, thanks everyone. Never thought of doing a week’s shop and leaving at work, genius suggestion.

Today’s lunch was a greasy pasty. Had a meeting just after lunch and the paperwork suffered from dirty, meaty fingerprints

km79
    Free Member

Never thought of doing a week’s shop and leaving at work, genius suggestion.

Your workmates will thank you! If they are anything like mine, your shopping will be gone by Wednesday.

funkmasterp

There are only four of us in the office on a regular basis so food shouldn’t go missing. I’m usually the first in and last out too

chewkw
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    This is a joke, surely.

It’s true because no matter what I put in the sandwich they just don’t taste good.

I guess it depends what you put in your sandwiches but mine don’t taste of cardboard and plastic. Homeless people would love mine, even the fussy ones

Okay give me some examples or ideas of what you put in your sandwich so I can give them a go. Cost should be around £3 – £5 if possible.

z1ppy

(I know this is a thread about sandwich alternatives but ^ that needs answering 🙂 I’m current comparing bought pot noodle [but not THAT brand] for convenience/speed when I run out of bread)

Lidl salami (full size ‘sausage’ not a packet of slices), home made chilli jam, salad & a smear of mayo… Cheddar, a red onion chutney, salad.. It’s not difficult or expensive (economies of scales & all that), decent bread makes a huge difference, if you using pre-sliced nastiness I’m not surprised (only to be used on proper crap, if lovely Fishfinger sandwiches)

I’m struggling as to why this is a news story, or why ppl would buy supermarket crap everyday
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-39896838/a-cheaper-tastier-way-to-eat-lunch-at-work
    I applaud his use of fresh bread everyday but that off-set by the nasty cheap cheese

jonnyboi

A really cheap option is Lidl emmental with French mustard in sliced white bread. Utterly awful unless you cook it in a toastie bag but delicious if you do.

ton

asda near my work. few nice cheap options i use.

chorizo, feta, toms, hummous. all from the £1 range.
    smoked salmon, avocado, toms.
    salami, feta, olives, toms

joshvegas
    Free Member

Okay give me some examples or ideas of what you put in your sandwich so I can give them a go. Cost should be around £3 – £5 if possible.

Bagel. Toasted.
    Layer pastrami and good cheddar with mustard and gherkins add salad.

Devour.

Regret not making two.

Smash a grab bag of wotsits.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Work Lunch – Sandwich Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.