Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Work Lunch – Sandwich Alternatives
  • funkmasterp

Getting really fed up of taking sandwiches to work for dinner. Inspire me people of Singletrack with your sandwich alternatives! What quick healthy meals do you take to work?

Apologies in advance to Binners: alas there are no Gregg’s The Bakers within walking distance.

Cougar

What facilities do you have? Kettle presumably? Microwave?

funkmasterp

Yep, kettle, microwave and dodgy toaster! Occasionally take left overs, but want inspiration for regular healthy alternatives. Tired brain gets stuck in sandwich or salad state.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Salad with cous cous and some eggs? Then a huge bar of choc to make up for the overdose of healthy. I work from home and have same problem!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Do you (or someone) cook evening meals? If so, make a bit more than needed and build a supply of left overs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ask some colleagues and arrange a spit roast.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lots of microwave alternatives, eg curry with no ride (healthier that way). Summer is here so salads inc with bulgar wheat etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fresh soup cartons but most especially……..

Glorious Skinny Soup – Goan Tomato and Lentil

fifeandy
    Free Member

Nutella pancakes, not exactly healthy but make sure carb stores are well topped up for evening ride 😀

bruneep

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMmdsq_YD8[/video]

cheese n toast

funkmasterp

Fresh soup could be a winner. Cous Cous and egg salad sounds good too. Any kind of roast would require a digestion nap, not sure the boss would go for it

slowoldman

Probably old news but I’ve just discovered eating your butties at your desk is “al desko”.

slackalice
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

funkmasterp – Member
    Any kind of roast would require a digestion nap, not sure the boss would go for it

Well, you’ll never know until you ask her.

MrOvershoot

Aldi Specially Selected Vine Tomato & Lentil Soup winner of gold medal in the grocer food & drink awards.

funkmasterp

Well, you’ll never know until you ask her.

He’s a big fella, you can ask him 😉

roger_mellie

Not sure that this will inspire anyone, but my default is:
    Pour half a pack of Ainsley Harriet’s finest couscous in bottom of Tupperware; cover with boiling water, go away and do something else;
    Come back and fluff up couscous;
    Pour half a tin of chickpeas on top;
    Mash a tin of salmon on top of that.
    Not very exciting but piece of cake to make, reasonably filling and inexpensive. Your welcome 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

fluff up couscous

#peakSTW

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pie
    Sausage roll
    Pie
    Sausage roll
    Pie and sausage roll

A week’s worth of ideas there for yer

iancity1
    Free Member

Cooked some chicken last night, marinaded it with some Tikka (homemade) dressing. Add some salad, microwave the chicken and makes a nice healthyish change 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Cream pie for afters 😉

funkmasterp

Pie
    Sausage roll
    Pie
    Sausage roll
    Pie and sausage roll

A week’s worth of ideas there for yer

It’s okay I guess, but I think Tuesday should be a pastie day

Attempted sneak edit to pasty failure. Shakes fist at flashy

roger_mellie

fluff up couscous
    #peakSTW

Lolz

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think Tuesday should be a pastie day

While eating a pasty?

seosamh77
    Free Member

microwave rice and a jar of sauce and add veg. My favourite easy dish probably go for 250g of brown rice, 1/3 a jar of uncle bens chilli and add 1/3 tin of garden peas and 1/3 tin of kidney beans, chuck some lettuce in as well for good measure. It’s a massive portion and usually only about 600/650 calories. add in some fresh chilli or chilli flakes if you want spicier.

get 3 days if you buy 3 packs of rice, bit much doing that every week though. need to mix it up.

sirromj

Baps
    Buns
    Huffkins
    Stotties
    Baggettes.

maccruiskeen

Probably old news but I’ve just discovered eating your butties at your desk is “al desko”.

Eating them on the sofa with one hand tucked in your pants is ‘al bundy’

chewkw
    Free Member

Eating sandwich is like eating cardboard stuff with plastic sheet of artificial meat. They are so disgusting even the homeless people don’t want to eat them … every evening my local charity would provide food for the homeless people in the city centre and non of the homeless people even want to take a look at them sandwiches.

Nowadays my lunch is Gregg or local chip shop or Milligans or I starve … the rest are not worth eating or simply too expensive. I mean I cannot even buy a hot meal for less than a £5 put it this way.

The street food I ate in the far east are considered artisan gourmet restaurant food here … if you want to eat them here, you get charge an arm and a leg for that. Minimum £10 meal. 😡

dooosuk
    Free Member

Couscous with smoked mackerel

Couscous with left over lamb/beef/chicken

Rice, beef, broccoli and a splash of teriyaki sauce

Chickpeas, tuna, beetroot, sweet corn and balsamic vinegar.

pondo

Morrisons salad box (£1) with either a tin of mackeral or some turkey slices. Either that or you can do their meal deal thing to get a three quid sushi box, two and half quid’s worth of coconut milk and something else (fruit pot, crisps or chocolate) for three quid. It’s a steal! It’s a deal! It’s sale of the etc

slimjim78
    Free Member

Subway tuna salad bowl every day for me. Club card points mean a free lunch every couple of weeks, 10p extra nabs a Pepsi max too.
    Jalapeños/pickles/olives/hot chilli sauce keeps things tasty.

ulysse
    Free Member

Subway tuna any salad bowl every day for me. Club card points mean a free lunch every couple of weeks, 10p extra nabs a Pepsi max too.
    Jalapeños/pickles/olives/hot chilli sauce keeps things tasty.

This.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Maybe the easiest starting point is to make better sandwiches?

kayak23

Wang some of this in your Tupperware.

Along with some of these…

And some of this…

And a good dollop of this…

Or variations of…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Google home made pot noodle.

I use whatever I have, grated carrot, courgette, peppers, chicken and prawns etc.

Always make a base sauce with stock cube, sesame oil, Chinese five spice and sriracha.

Cup of hot water and 2 mins in micro. Then cover in lime, coriander and sliced chilli.

Amazing.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Am i the only person whose lunch time diet is decided purely on the basis of the yellow stickers in the supermarket?

The thought process is purely, “hmmm what’s less than a quid” which produces a varied diet of salads, soups, sandwiches, microwave meals or pastry products

lunge

I batch make food on a Sunday to eat for the week. Current favourite is a tomato rice type affair that has been adapted over the years but is basically:
    Browned onions
    Mince – turkey is leaner, beef is tastier
    Chopped leeks
    Mushrooms
    3 cans of chopped tinned tomatoes
    Whatever herbs I have kicking around the kitchen
    Cup of brown rice
    2 stock cubes
    Hot sauce
    Bit of water if it seems too thick.
    Throw all in pig pan, simmer for 40 minutes to cook the rice, cool and put into pots or bags for the week.

Dirt cheap, tasty and filling. Tastes better warm but is fine cold if needed.

Sorted.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cold cous cous or pasta salads until the autumn.

Sweet potatoes take ~6mins to cook, unless they are monster sized.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Job Jobbed.

prawny

We have the same set up as you OP (although our microwave is also dodgy) and I pretty much live off beans on toast, and occasionally scrambled egg on toast.

I can’t be bothered carrying too much food to work on my bike so I do a weekly shop at the tesco in town and keep it at work.

Not high class, but it does the job and is very cheap. Plus you can adjust the volume of toast or beans depending on how hungry you are.

rocketman
    Free Member

Beans + chicken/fish + rocket

Beans = borlotti, pinto, kidney, black eye, cannellini, butter, chick peas, lentils (no sauces)

Fish = mackerel, tuna, sardines (no sauces)

Nagas if you like spice

Eat as much as you like no cooking required

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Work Lunch – Sandwich Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.