Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Work is Hell – How do you get through the day? A plea for help.
  • monksie
    Free Member

Of those of you who have a job they really despise but can’t bury themselves in the roll they’re paid to carry out to pass the time and Internet is only a spasmodic opportunity, what strategies do you have for not picking up a chair and shoving it very hard in to the face of those you cannot stand but have to spend 8 hours a day with, 5 days per week?
    I used to work for a charity relocating individuals and families who were victims of violence, other wise vulnerable or on occasion part of a witness protection programme. It was ace.I loved it. Sadly, a lack of staff (24 hour cover, living in) meant no days off for weeks and my own family at home resulted in me going part time and working part time at the council. I got ill and it was decided I was not best suited to the charity roll anymore so now I work in this soul destroying hell hole that is a Bailif and Court department full time.
    There is not much opportunity for a new job for a while (a long period of stability in my domestic life is required or it will all go boobs up again) so, before I end up sectioned or in jail – Help!
    I can’t be the only one dying at a desk?
    (Sorry for the long depressing post – I needed to vent).

molgrips
    Free Member

I solved it by thinking of a job I both could do, paid well and had terms that were somewhat agreeable.

I cannot cope with jobs that feel more like sentences.. so I changed.

Got no advice if this is not an option 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Do you need to do much reading at work (like documents, reprots etc.)? If so, photodopy sections of a novel, holepunch them and put then in a folder.

Worked great for a friend of mine.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for trying anyway Molgrips
    That is simple but genious ourmaninthenorth – I’ll set about rigging something up this evening.

muggomagic

i find music and podcasts get me through the day. Helps to shut out the irritations. Also extended toilet breaks playing angry birds helps.

EDIT: Obviously this is in a previous job as the role I’m in now is super 😯

MrNutt
    Free Member

I don’t know how you can stand it monksie, my experience of the scum that you have to deal with was hell enough, working with them I’d be tempted to blow the building up! actually I’ll give you a hand if you like 😀

ton

i sit and talk bollox on here all day……….. 8)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Look for another job. It’s possible to move jobs without losing stability and it’s surely a better option than the personal instability and depression that could arise from the cycle of misery you seem to be resigned to perpetuating.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a bit lucky like this. I’ve never had a job I’ve really liked, but I can just switch in work mode. Switch off if you like….

Work means nothing to me. It’s just a way to earn money to live my real life. Working where I do you get more then a fair share of twunts and numbskulls, but again, it’s just work. I let the argumnets and BS (And worse) roll off me. I’m thinking of home, bikes, holidays, whatever. I don’t associate with collegues out of work, I simply go home and forget about it…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

What 3F said.

LukeHurst
    Free Member

The company I work for is facing going into Administration within a few weeks so I have no job security at the moment. I haven’t actually had any work to do for nearly 9 months however, I am still employed and I’m being paid.

What have I done to pass the time ? Well I’ve worked almost 100% of my time at work setting my own business up (http://www.pedalcentre.co.uk) I have spent hours reading up on business accounting, conducting market research, sourcing suppliers not to mention the actual setup of the online shop.

I know that the internet is saturated with online retailers and that I can’t compete with the big companies but I have a few ideas that have been well received by those in the market, which will hopefully make me a little unique to everyone else.

Moral of the story is to be happy that you have work at the moment in what is a difficult time for lots of people. I’m not telling a sob story here just that you have to make the most of what you’ve got. For me it is time on my hands to have a go at doing something that I’ve thought about for a long time.

Good luck with passing the time.

Luke.

monksie
    Free Member

No mp3’s, radios etc. allowed. In fact, our line manager carriw out occasional spot checks on non work mobile phones to ensure they’re turned off. It does her head in that I don’t own one.
    I was happy to be able to advise at the time Mr Nutt but as you became aware, there’s not much you can do when we unleash the dogs. I take no pleasure in it.
    I can’t often get onto the Internet during work hours, Ton (ps. What’s all the full stops all about?).
    I’m keeping a very quiet eye on things Three_Fish but I daren’t mention it at home. She’ll be thinking I’m off on one again.
    I envy you PeterPoddy.

organic355
    Free Member

our line manager carriw out occasional spot checks on non work mobile phones to ensure they’re turned off

I am not sure but how can they enforce this? The cannot force you to remove your personal property from your pocket/coat etc to check it is switched off?

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if you could show her the results of studies that show happy workers are productive workers.. If give people a bit of slack they respond and end up more productive.

poly
    Free Member

I am not sure but how can they enforce this? The cannot force you to remove your personal property from your pocket/coat etc to check it is switched off?

of course they can – its not uncommon to have a “right to search” clause in a contract of employment – but even without it, its simple prove you don’t have an unauthorised phone switched on demand or if found using one / it rings then collect your P45 on your way out the door – your being paid to work not conduct your personal business.

roper
    Free Member

To me 8 hours a day to too much to be wasting doing something you hate. I recently had an office job. I tried to make it work, and most of the people I worked with were really nice. cabin fever still got the better of me and I walked. I lasted three minutes into my last shift, closed down my pc and told the manager it was best I go.
    it’s not the most responsible thing to do but my enjoyment of life and time has been so much better. it looks like my idea of self employment is more realistic now too, which I would never have had time to do stuck in an office Working for a company I didn’t like.
    honesty is the best policy 🙂

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

you gotta get out, seriously, like roper says 8 hours is a huge part of your life, if you don’t enjoy it you’re going to get deeper and deeper into that rut. if you genuinly can’t just walk out (mortgage, kids, partner not working etc) then at least start the ball rolling to move on, even that can help.

crazy-legs

Change the coffee in the brew room for decaff (obviously without telling anyone). Give it a couple of weeks and watch as all your collaegues become really irritable. Then switch it to the full espresso version and watch as everyone bounces off the ceiling!

More seriously…
    Any way in which you can do some research into something that interests you? Sort of a variation on the photocopying a novel thing mentioned earlier. Maybe look at ways of setting up your own business?

nickf
    Free Member

Yep, left a job I absolutely hated at the end of March and started a new one immediately.

I’m normally a very positive person, but the role I was doing had me genuinely shaking with rage. All down to the clown who managed me; Jekyll and Hyde is a pretty accurate description of his attitude. To give you an idea of his management style, when I said I’d be leaving his one-word response was “Good!”. He didn’t speak another word to me, not one, either then or until I left. All this from an MBA, who should have realised from his training that a culture of fear and bullying will not make your staff feel much like doing even the barest minimum for you.

It isn’t often that I viscerally loathe people – I can think of perhaps three people who have provoked genuine hatred in all of my 45 years. This guy was WAY ahead of anyone else. I’d happily buy him the registration plate W4 NKR if only I could find a way of transferring it to his car without him noticing.

The new job is great, and to top it all I now earn about 75% more than my old boss.

I posted the above on the ‘anyone left a job they hated recently’ thread about a month ago.

Totally sympathise, and remember well just how much I hated the trip wo work each day, and the heart-sinking feeling that decended on me as I walked through the front door. I kept doing it as I needed the income, and one thing my father taught me is that you may hate your job, but at least you can hold your head up high if you’re continuing to provide for your family.

But it can’t last forever; in all seriousness, leave. If you can’t, because there aren’t the opportunities, keep looking, as something will come up. I was so wound up, and so loathed my job, that I was extremely difficult to live with.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Work is Hell – How do you get through the day? A plea for help.’ is closed to new replies.