Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Work Attire, suits and ties shorts and shoes
  • project
    Free Member

So the last week has been so hot, usually work in jeans and a t shirt,now shorts and a t shirt, but so many of the stuffed shirts walking round after driving desks all day are still wearing a shirt and tie and trousers along with a jacket, take your tie off you look daft overheating and sweating profusely.

and in 2017 do male staff really need to wear a tie at all and a suit jacket, if you want to look part of a company wear a uniform.

Discuss nicely and remove the tie before your blood pressure rises to much.

Gary_M
    Free Member

and in 2017 do male staff really need to wear a tie at all and a suit jacket, if you want to look part of a company wear a uniform.

No, stopped wearing a tie to the office in 2007, now there’s very very few people in our place wear a tie daily.

Cougar

I’m currently at work in jeans and a Firefly tee-shirt, so I have nothing constructive to add other than to share your bemusement.

bearnecessities

I find a tie is a useful for a spot of lunchtime self-asphyxiation in the traps, but otherwise not needed, and I still look awesome.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IT in jeans and a Sci-fi t- shirt
    #chalengingstereotypes

perchypanther
    Free Member

Social convention innit?

Conform and succeed.

Rebel and ….erm?… I dunno?…. something….. In a server room, probably.

Nico
    Free Member

#chalengingstereotypes

Love it.

zippykona

T shirt , shorts and bare foot for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Client facing – suit
    Office – shirt, trews and smart boots
    Home office (most often) – board shorts and a plain white tee today

lunge

I work in financial services…I’m currently in a suit and tie. Thankfully we have aircon, otherwise I would have melted after my lunchtime run.

IHN

Where I’m currently contracting the office attire is shirt and tie. It is a very old-school establishment though, I’ve not previously worn a tie at work for probably ten or more years (all financial services)

Saying that, I’m currently tie-less as a) it’s hot B) it’s Friday afternoon and c)I’m only going to be staring at a pc for the next three hours and it doesn’t care what I’m wearing

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I am currently working and wearing two items of clothing.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Socks?

PJM1974
    Free Member

It entirely depends. We’ve officially no dress code per se, but I will turn up for work in a suit and waistcoat on occasion. My senior manager somehow manages to combine a suit with converse boots.

Today, I’m wearing beige shorts, white Converse boots and a Levi’s t-shirt with a picture of a bicycle wheel on it.

footflaps

I wear shorts and T-shirt most days at work, might swap T-shirt for a SS shirt if we have customers in or it’s just really hot.

GregMay
    Free Member

Shorts and t-shirt. I have socks on, but no shoes. Wednesday I’ll usually wear a short sleeve shirt in as we have patients in the labs. I’ll probably still be in shorts though, probably put runners on.

University has no dress code, but if we have visiting academics I’ll maybe wear trousers. Maybe.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Socks?

Yes, just socks.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Canterbury gear (current sponsor). So shorts at the moment… But funnily enough this dress code follows strict guidelines.

Luckily never really suited and booted unless we are off to awards, presentations or dinners etc. Eden Park suits supplied. My yearly time with a tie on amounts to about 10 hours luckily.

njee20
    Free Member

I really like wearing a suit (including tie), I don’t get people who find them uncomfortable, perhaps they need advice on buying shirts the right size. Nothing looks worse than someone in an ill fitting suit, with their top button undone and their tie askew.

No longer work somewhere that requires it, shorts and t-shirt today. It is more pleasant going outside, for sure, but never actually found it all that much of a struggle wearing a suit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I thought the tie had finally died in the workplace, it seems not – even RBS have stopped making the men wear them.

Personally I don’t think there’s much more scruffy than a man wearing clothes that he has to wear, suits crumpled and creased because it’s one of two he owns for work, it’s been stuffed on a train or bus, it’s 30c out or -3c and pouring with rain, the jacket looks new because it’s worn for exactly 3 seconds longer than it takes to get to work before being thrown over the back of the chair but the tousers look old because they’re worn all day everyday like overalls.

The best thing about leaing the corporate world for the life-in-the-bus-lane pace of small business was the dress code – NO ONE wears suits, no one.

In my place we only have one rule regarding dress – if you go on-site it’s full length trews / jeans. Most of us keep them in the car under our desk in summer.

dovebiker

Because of where I work I have to wear 2 visible IDs on a lanyard around my neck at all times – I’ve found to my cost they are very effective at shredding expensive silk ties, so don’t bother anymore. A lot of the people I see suited and booted are trying too hard, corporate brown-nosers and I’d rather not be mistaken for one – I’m employed for my brains, not as a clothes horse.

jimdubleyou

Our place is funny (massive international bank).

Official guideline is “Business casual” (which translates to no tie or jacket required) in the office & suit if meeting clients / external.

A couple of levels above me, people all wear suit & tie, even though they rarely have an external meeting or meet clients.

A couple of levels above that, it starts going more casual. The CIO wears whatever the hell he wants – usually flip flops and shorts, but he does work in California.

DrJ

I didn’t mind wearing a suit. The trousers are no more uncomfortable than jeans and the jacket is at least a place to carry stuff. Having said that, I’ve promised myself that I will never buy another one, and that when my current ones wear out I will quit work 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member

Our place is funny (massive international bank).

Official guideline is “Business casual” (which translates to no tie or jacket required) in the office & suit if meeting clients / external.

A couple of levels above me, people all wear suit & tie, even though they rarely have an external meeting or meet clients.

A couple of levels above that, it starts going more casual. The CIO wears whatever the hell he wants – usually flip flops and shorts, but he does work in California.

I can relate to that, when I was in banking it was the big bosses to dropped the ties first, well at least when they wern’t been hauled in front of a select committee or something.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Office – shirt, trews and smart boots
    Home office (most often) – board cotton shorts and a plain white tee today

Pretty much this.

aP
    Free Member

Shorts, a Millet (FR) short sleeved shirt and some odd looking Desert Boots.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH, if a company is going to insist on me wearing a specific type of clothes, they can pay for it.

Not worn a shirt and tie since my brothers wedding. Which is about 10 years ago. I think.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I wore shorts and a t-shirt to work in summer most of the time. In a Japanese office environment. Once people had seen that the world hadn’t stopped turning quite a few joined me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I love wearing suits, ties optional and I wear one 3/5 days, cos I like em.

Yes when you “go outside” where the plebs congregate it can get a bit hot under the collar, but saunter off into select clubs and gardens and you don’t have to mix with the sweaty grunty types 😆

Dress down Friday, most clothing is smart, clean and tidy and no flip-flops, still get the suit wearers because it’s easy.

nealglover
    Free Member

Most of us keep them in the car under our desk in summer

How big are your desks!

CaptJon
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    I work in financial services…I’m currently in a suit and tie. Thankfully we have aircon, otherwise I would have melted after my lunchtime run.

I remember reading an argument a while back that suits are a major contributor to climate change, for the reason you state: in office in suit = need for aircon.

allthegear
    Free Member

#chalengingstereotypes

Oh my shame – I’ve just realised I’ve taken this one step even worse today – jeans and an old tech conference t-shirt… 😳

Frontend United, if you must know…

Rachel

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Work Attire, suits and ties shorts and shoes’ is closed to new replies.