Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Work and commute times (total hours used up)
  • bubs

What are yours? Slow train out of London after another long work day has got me thinking…

Bregante

A gruelling 15 minutes in the car at ungodly o’clock in the morning and 20-25 minutes in the evening.

Bloody horrible bike commute though unfortunately.

ton

30 mins ride in. 8hrs work. 30 mins home.

dyls

Im doing around 55min each way, so near enough 2 hours per day, which is quite a lot tbh. By bike would be a nice route but that would be 2hrs each way.

dknwhy

36 hours over 4 days with a 10 minute walk either end. Love it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

20 min ride each way.

I’d die before having a long drive to work

Stoner
    Free Member

9 days in 10, I “work”* from home.
    1 day in 10, I take the motorbike 25mins to the trains station, 2hrs.10mins to London where I pick my bike up at paddington and cycle the rest of the way/day around London.

Back the same way, so about 5hrs of travel.

5hrs over 10 days though is only the equivalent of 15mins each way a day.

* TBF I only work a few days at home, the rest of the time I’m free to tinker.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

0.6 miles each way.

Can be a real bastard and double my journey time if there’s frost on the windscreen.

Drac

5 minute walk and at least 12 hours at work but regularly 15 hours if I’m operational. If I’m in my new role then it’s 12 hours unless I hang back to do a lengthy handover.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Used to be around 13 hours commuting time per week, was on a bike though so it was actually the hilight of the day. Working hours were supposed to be 7.5 per day but could run over quite dramatically as we got to the sharp end of projects.

Work from home now so I don’t actually have a commute. I tend to use the first hour of the day to do some sort of exercise. There’s no such thing as normal working hours as it all depends how much I’ve got to do that week, could be anything from 0 hours to through the night.

TheBrick
    Free Member

30 min on the bike 15-30 in the car either direction 9hr at work. I think you need to down graude effective hourly rate to take into account the commute

scotroutes

30 miles each way, so about 35 minutes by car. A typical day will start at 8:30 and end at 18:30 and I might squeeze 30 minutes or so in for lunch.

Only 3 days/week, 7 months/year though!

bikebouy
    Free Member

6 mins in on the foldie, tuck trews into socks/work/play/bugger about/eat lunch/more dilly dally/drink coffee/tuck suit trews into socks/grab foldie 5mins home.

Same
    old

Same
    Old.

😀

stumpy01

🙁

Generally an hour each way in the car.
    Try to leave the house by 7:15 at the latest & get home about 6pm.

It’s pretty crap, but the salaries are so much better as you get nearer to Cambridge & I like my job.

brocks
    Free Member

A mile and a half walk along canal bank there and back brill!

froggy67
    Free Member

About 10 minutes by bike or 15 if I use the car (not often). On the bike I can go cross country which is a bit difficult in a Ford Fiesta so I have to follow the roads

piemonster

The commute is currently 3hr 20m a day.

That won’t last.

everyone
    Free Member

40 hour week with a ~10min commute each way.

ski
    Free Member

Slick clunker of a bike, 1 mile down hill singletrack, two 30mph, slidey roundabouts (still trying to master)and a launch off a berm, skidding into the bike cage at work, much to the annoyance of the resident security!

Best 5min of the day!

Return, can take me an hour mind

irc

30m drive going in. 30-45m going home depending when I finish. Only work 3 days a week though. Around 30 hours over 3 days.

crispo
    Free Member

35 mins in the car each way and then about 11/12 hours at work. 5 days a week with a rota for weekends so work one Saturday every 7 weeks.

amedias
    Free Member

Depends on the route I take, quickest is 8-10mins on the bike depending on traffic lights, on the way home cane be anything from 10mins to 3hrs if I want to make a ride of it 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

10 seconds each morning and evening—I work from home 😀

GJP
    Free Member

I would say end to end 11-13 hours, about 75 mins commute in total 30 in 45 on the way home. Typical big corporate middle management life I expect.

woody2000

40 mins each way on the bike. Leave about 8.15, home 18.30 latest. Mon – Thu currently

dufusdip
    Free Member

Summer – motorbike and 35 mins on good day, normal 40.
    Winter 1h 40 on a good day, 2h 15 on a bad. Not london, central scotland…
    Summer on MTB 2h 30 on a roadie 2h.

Who says public transport works??

Working hours half seven to half five. Cut it back from quarter to seven finish out of sanity.

phiiiiil

Return, can take me an hour mind

I used to live pretty much as high as you could on the Malvern Hills and work at the bottom; if I went for it I could be at the front gate in four minutes flat, but the way home again was a 25 minute slog…

gwaelod
    Free Member

North Cardiff to City Centre

30 mins ride in along the river, 8.5 hrs work, 30mins ride home along the river.

Occasionally I have to take the car in..then its 40-50mins in and the same back.

ebygomm
    Free Member

2 hours 40 Monday and Thursday
    10 minutes on the bike each way Tuesday and Wednesday

So 6 hours total travel a week plus 30 hours work.

beej

38-40 paid hours per week working, 12 mins total per day commuting. Leave home 7.40, generally back by 5. Earlier finish Fridays. It flexes though, depending on what I’m up to.

wiggles
    Free Member

23 mins leisurely uphill ride to work, ~9hrs of talking/messing with bikes and 13 downhill minutes home.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sometimes I go for a walk around the garden before work.
    Sometimes I sit on a plane for hours before work.

This week is the latter. 🙁

Stainypants

10 minutes by bike or car each day and 8 hours at work. 2 hour ride home on a Monday and before work on a Tuesday and Wednesday. 3-5 hours MTB on the way home on a Thursday.

Love it

tomd
    Free Member

Usually a 45 min cycle there and back on a reasonable route, with 8-9hrs at work. On Fridays I get the bus half way and run via Holyrood Park (Edinburgh) and go for a run round the hills there. Amazing way to start a day.

bigblackshed

Day shift, 7am to 7pm, I leave the house at 6am latest, 35-40 minute drive, 45 minute return, normally home by 8pm.

Night shift, 7pm to 7am, I have to leave the house by 5:45 latest, can be an hour drive, return can be 35 minutes on the weekend, hour ish in the week. I’ve had some horrific journeys home, latest home after a night shift was 9:30.

Best commute was walk down the stairs, worst was Hereford to Thurrock on a Monday morning, return on a Friday afternoon. Always left at 1pm on a Friday, but even so it would be a 6 hour drive. I once got home at 10pm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It started with about 45-60 mins each way and 8hrs about 15 years ago
    Varied from 15-60 mins over that time
    Out of the lakes 30-40 mins with 8hr days
    To the crap of the Manc/Warrington area 45-60 each way
    By the time I left the UK 60-90 each way and 8hr days – added up to be 11 odd hrs each day

Currently as long as it takes to get from bed to the computer (or phone if I’m just checking e-mails)
    The flip side is I have some slightly longer commutes for specific jobs 23hrs each way coming up

WildHunter2009

As of next week it will be a 2 hr flight to site and the I reckon 1 hr driving each way from camp to the drill rig fir 3 weeks straight. I do question why i do this sometimes as i wont be able to ride or the next 3 weeks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do question why i do this sometimes as i wont be able to ride or the next 3 weeks.

Same as everyone else on FIFO? Money?

WildHunter2009

Haha moneys been a bit average recently, pay reductions and reduced hours across the board. Still I do get to play with rocks and be outdoors so i dont mind to much. Wonder if i could steal the excavator and get a pump track built?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol you out in the west?

Just go for it, whats the worst that could happen

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Work and commute times (total hours used up)’ is closed to new replies.