Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Words and phrases that get on your jangly bits
  • midgebait
    Free Member

'With regard to…'

'With respect to…'

Both of these are generally used to avoid the need to put a sentence together properly and somehow seem to be required to sound professional. Grrrr!!!

And don't get me started on 'daily/frequent/regular basis' instead of every day, frequently or regularly. Nu labour speak at it's worst.

Incidently I worked for a company which has 'Thinking outside of the box' as a logo. It was even on my business card. Despite being a large spin-off from a power company they went bust within about two years of being formed.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

"It's a no brainer"

Why do people think that they can sell stuff to me by suggesting that I have no brain!!

Gary_C

Just for Boardinbob.

Felofagen
    Free Member

It seems mandatory for youngsters these days to liberally sprinkle each sentence with the word 'like'. IMHO If you are incapable of communicating with adequate precision, then keep your mouth shut

noteeth
    Free Member

"Adding value"

Yeah right you are.

Gary_M
    Free Member

'roadtrip' – do you mean you're going on holiday and it involves driving to different locations. It's used a lot on here.

'mahoosive' – I really hate that.

'Basically', thats basically what happened. No you mean 'that's what happened'

My son has recently started saying stupid words intstead of saying he likes things, such as 'da bomb' and other stupid phrases.

sc-xc

In terms of.

And, people that aren't from Newcastle pronouncing the name of the city as 'Newcastle

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

A few years back I phoned a company for feedback on an assessment centre interview I had failed to get past.

HR person: "is is fair to say you don't always think outside of the box?"
    Me: "what box?"
    HR person: "Er, you know, the box where everyone thinks the same"
    Me: "I don't think so".
    HR: "We couldn't identify where you were thinking outside the box"
    Me: "oh, you mean I don't think within your particular box?"
    HR: "I think we should move forward"
    Me: "ok, bye".

clubber
    Free Member

You're a miserable bunch of feckers aren't you 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

'moving forward'

or that prat Scot Mills

'off of' Radio One

freddyg
    Free Member

Chefs: "pan fried".
    Where the **** else is it going to be fried? Trouser fried? Teapot Fried? AArrghh!

aracer
    Free Member

Is that a phrase you hear a lot, clubber?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Aye 'feckers' thats another one I hate.

AndyP
    Free Member

Chefs: "pan fried".
    Where the **** else is it going to be fried? Trouser fried? Teapot Fried? AArrghh!

deep fried. hth.

Spamf
    Free Member

One from our American cousins… Horseback riding. Where else are you going to ride the flipping thing? On second thoughts, don't answer that.

0091paddy
    Free Member

"at the end of the day" – once you've said that, I immediately presume you have a low intellect.

"stoked" – what does that even mean you wannabee surfer?

"basically" – useless word, often used by the intellectually challenged to fill gabs in their lacking vocabulary.

"by and large" – sorry?

"dark side" – this forum is the only place I've ever seen it being used. Cut it out.

Dobbo

I hate Lush. As in "Ohhh yeah that's lush"

Also hate ****, **** & feckers

I like "Hang a left/right"

I'm going to start using "That's the way I roll"

Don't have a problem with "Pan fried" although like the trouser fried reference.

odannyboy
    Free Member

1)anything out of chris moyles mouth.period. 😈

2)managment lingo.mainly used by ****ts who are actually wannabe managment.
    a guy i used to work,everything he said was a cliche,

about someone who may be interested in a job offer…
    "so, have a word with him and see if he want to come and join the party"
    (it was no party working there!)

when he joined..
    " glad to have you onboard"
    (we wernt on a ruddy ship!)

when we had a problem to all try and work out..
    "lets get together and all throw our hats in the ring"
    (theres no ring and we dont wear hats??)

oh and when people talk to a group of men and women…

"hey guys listen up"
    (there men and women??)

clubber
    Free Member

Yep, you're definitely all a bunch of miserable feckers

(yeah, I probably have heard that one 😉 )

Dobbo

London Town or London Village that gets on my tits as well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

"hey guys listen up"
    (there men and women??)

I have more issues with 'listen up' than 'guys'. Should he have said 'ladies and gentlemen can I have your attention please?'

People who don't know the difference between 'there' and 'they're'

clubber
    Free Member

or people who don't know the difference between single and double quotes 😉

enfht
    Free Member

"Ya Know" and "like" just shoved into a sentence (like) for no reason (ya know)

freddyg
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

deep fried. hth.

Oh.

Yeah, but still…. Is that my coat?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Anything that's used to tart up a menu or to do with food…

So yes, pan-fried, drizzled with a coulis of…, roast dinner with all the trimmings, jus, tray-bakes, creme anglaise (it's chuffin custard ffs), trio of puddings, pommes purees (mash!!) etc, etc…

8)

odannyboy
    Free Member

I have more issues with 'listen up' than 'guys'. Should he have said 'ladies and gentlemen can I have your attention please?'totally agree!!

Hay! , never said i could spell! i am rather good at moaning tho!! 😉

alpin
    Free Member

checken/gecheckt…germanisation of 'to check'

chillen/gechillt…germanisation of 'to chill'

shapen/geshapt…germanisation of 'to shape'

the thing that gets me is that there are perfectly good german words for these, but "englisch ist kool".

grates me too when you hear the whine of some seppo from several aisles away in the supermarket.

odannyboy
    Free Member

got another
    when my kids say..
    "i called her but she didnt pick up?"

pick up what?! the phone, she didnt pick up the phone!
    finish the sentence! 😯
    (goes to lie down in a darkened room)

deus

leading edge is perfectly acceptable as a hanggliding/ plane term surely?

ahh, this is cathartic, reading these rants 🙂

nickc

You guys need to drink less coffee

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I was in a service station once where virtually everything on the menu came with "your very own jug of gravy", or "your very own bowl of chips". Things even came on "your very own platter". In the end I had to call the police.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

alpin – Member

checken/gecheckt…germanisation of 'to check'

chillen/gechillt…germanisation of 'to chill'

shapen/geshapt…germanisation of 'to shape'

the thing that gets me is that there are perfectly good german words for these, but "englisch ist kool".

grates me too when you hear the whine of some seppo from several aisles away in the supermarket.

We beat the Germans in 2 wars – thats why they don't piss us off. You choose to live there – so ha ha

alpin
    Free Member

brilliant. no penis insults this time which, i guess, is an improvement!

Trekster

it`s only common sense

AlasdairMc

My director at work came out with "let's have an F2F", which I later discovered was used in place of a face to face meeting.

In my work, business bullshit is used by some to imply people know what they're doing, but it just makes me think '****' whenever I hear it.

shoefiti
    Free Member

It doesn't 'get on my jangly bits' as such, more makes me laugh and think "why the hell did you just do that, you moron?" You can pretty much see it on tv, whilst on holiday, freinds do it, it's great!

Here's a scenario:

Lost Tourist to french bloke (in perfect English): "Excuse me could you please tell me the way to the…………… (engage Allo Allo type ridiculous 'French accent') 'bus station'?

Now either add a "please" or if your feeling really French add a 's'il vous plaît' for extra effect. or say "Le Bus Station".

It's almost as if just by adding a daft accent, yet retaining your own language automatically makes the non-English speaking person think – "Oh silly me i was kicking myself for never having taken the time to learn English and i'm glad i didn't when all that is needed for me to understand them is for them to talk like René Artois"

You can witness this phenomena in Ross Kemp on gangs, foreign aid workers on the news and my mate Mike when speaking to his French girlfreind: "Catherine, would you like a cup of 'café'"

Just use the word 'coffee' Mike, i'm pretty sure she knows what you mean – you twit!

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread is da bomb, although I feel some of you are just picking the low-hanging fruit.

Going forward, please make more effort to take the helicopter view and think outside of the box with your annoying phrases.

beefy

When people "source" something rather than just flippin' finding out where they can get it from and then getting it.

"I just sourced a nice steel frame"

really means..

"I bought it from the internet"

"Cheeky trails", for chuffs sake just admit you were riding on a footpath, we all do it! My dad even got arrested for it once!

aracer
    Free Member

alpin – chillst du.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Actual and Actually for me

for example "I was actually so drunk at the weekend"

not really a comment but that thing people do now when they cover their mouths in moments of minor stress with their hands, kinda like half praying half worried look……grrrr, can usually be found on game shows and the x factor

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Words and phrases that get on your jangly bits’ is closed to new replies.