Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Word Magazine
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

so the next issue will be the last…

I for one find this very very sad, as a fan of music I have been introduced (and reintroduced) to a whole raft of music by this magazine, will anything replace it or will it all go mainstream and thus there will not be an independent publication of its ilk again?

Any pointers on what to read now? (whilst listening to the excellent free cd and drinking my morning espresso)

wooobob

It’s a great shame. The quality of some of the articles dipped somewhat in recent years, but none of the others really compare in terms of the breadth of interesting music covered. I’ve got so many bands and albums which I love as a result of a well-written review in Word. Best-worst was usually good too. It’s the only magazine I subscribed to – what now?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Never heard of it TBH.

andybach
    Free Member

Its the podcasts I will miss most – they are like a good conversation in the pub – if Mark Ellen, Billy Bragg etc all visited my local.

Their forum is also really good and seems to have a similar demographic to this one.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Might have to go download a batch of their older podcast just to have a listen to in the car, better than any radio station available through a normal non dab car stereo at present.

RustySpanner

Hell of a shame.
    Only mag I’ve ever written to, the only one I buy every month and the only one I read cover to cover.
    The Danny Thompson interview was one of the funnniest things I’ve ever read.
    I’ve bought every issue since number 2 and found each one thoroughly entertaining.
    I’ll miss it.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Only mag I’ve ever written to, the only one I buy every month and the only one I read cover to cover.

Funny, my mate stayed over a while back, woke up at some ungodly hour and couldn’t get back to sleep. he found a copy of Word and said its the first time he read any magazine cover to cover.

It’s a shame they won’t be around after the next issue. Q is a joke, Mojo keeps running articles about the same bands (every year the Beatles or Rolling Stones will be on the cover at some point, sometimes more than once it seems) and the cover CD’s, let’s just say I’m not interested in the music that inspired Brian Jones.

Unfortunately the quality of Word I think has waned in the last couple of months, the article about the death of Adam Yauch was 9/10ths prattling on about the controversy surrounding the License to Ill tour with a “oh, by the way, he’s dead” tacked on for good measure.

I will miss it though

noteeth
    Free Member

I miss Select. 🙁

Some great free tapes (tapes!!), too.

CountZero

I stopped reading Q when The Word came out, ans like others here, I’d buy it on a Saturday and sit in the coffee shop and just read it from cover to cover. Always entertaining, but as above, quality has dropped a bit recently. It seems the Grauniad Group own 30%, so they’ve probably pulled support due to their own ongoing issues. Word generally only sold 25000 or so.
    I bought Uncut yesterday, and that’s very good, more music orientated, lots of good reviews, (Neil Young,
    Dirty Projectors, Sun Kil Moon), and a pretty good free cover cd.
    That will be my mag of choice in future.
    Very sorry to see Word go, the CD’s have filled a big chunk of my iTunes, I have every one from issue two.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Word Magazine’ is closed to new replies.