Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Word Gurus – Help required – going to scream
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I have a large word document – currently at 45 pages long. It has to have some of the pages landscape in it to fit tables and stuff in it.

In the past working on exactly the same format, I have had no issues flipping pages when necessary to landscape.

This time however all I get is bloody error messages about margins. I’ve tried changing print drivers, adjusting margins, page sizes anything I can think of and it just will not work.

Anybody got any hints to help me before I lose the plot completely.

simon_g

Are you using section breaks before/after the landscape pages?

Xylene
    Free Member

Page breaks – ctrl+enter if that is what you mean.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Use section breaks instead of page breaks. That allows you to format each section separately.

Xylene
    Free Member

Without sounding like a knob, how?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not at a machine with word on it but if you use the same menu options as for Page Break there is a Section Break option.

Xylene
    Free Member

Made no difference

StirlingCrispin

OK –
    after inserting a section-break, set the page size and orientation.
    Do this before and after each landscapy bit.

What now?

PS: 45 pages is a small document 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

PS: 45 pages is a small document

It’s got images and tables in it so MB wise it’s quite large just now.

The settings you chose for left and right margins, column spacing, or indents are too large for the page in some sections.

stever
    Free Member

Definitely do it with section breaks. Set orientation and margins for every section. Check your settings are for ‘This section’. Show hidden characters so you can see what’s going on. What’s the error?

Xylene
    Free Member

The settings you chose for left and right margins, column spacing, or indents are too large for the page in some sections.

That is it.

I’m stuck for now. So going to finish off the book and then fanny about with it later in some way.

stever
    Free Member

Have you got massive left and right margins, so big that there’s nowhere to actually put the text?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Well that is what it look like, but I can’t change them.

I’ve tried making the margins mininmal, 0, large, small and nowt is working.

When working on it the margins are fairly hefty.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can you try setting some standard margins until the whole lot is done then start tarting around with them later.

Also sometimes for no reason, Word will bugger you about like this. Maybe copy the whole lot and paste it into a new document. Or copy it a few pages at a time and see when the margin problem appears in the new document.

You do have Show paragraph marks (or whatever its called) switched on don’t you?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ yes they are on.

Tried copying and pasting as well.

I think it is word just being a tit.

Xylene
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You had 2 columns?? Why didn’t you say so!

Xylene
    Free Member

You had 2 columns?? Why didn’t you say so!

I didn’t know.

Buggered if I know how it got into more than one column

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Word Gurus – Help required – going to scream’ is closed to new replies.