Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • word file to.jpg
  • rOcKeTdOg

so i have a design for some stickers created in word (ok so nothing elaborate) but need to convert to hi res or .jg

how does one go about this, sorry for being a numpty

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

use the ‘print screen’ button. Paste into any image software, trim the pic then save as jpeg

iDave
    Free Member

make as big as possible and screen capture, then crop and expect it to be shit quality

then do it again with proper software

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spokebloke
    Free Member

Best way (if using OpenOffice) is to save as PDF then open in Photoshop or similar.

But never, ever, Trevor, design in Word. It is shit.

druidh
    Free Member

I believe the correct response is “post it on here and we’ll give you some advice”. Of course, this is no more than a ruse, designed for you to provide cannon-fodder to the STW graphic designer wannabees.

retro83
    Free Member

print to PDF with CutePDF or similar might come out better

trailertrash

Print to pdf then save as a jpg using adobe acrobat standard

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Print but select document image instead of your printer and save as Tiff for better quality etc.

cp

What Frankenstein said – you’ll loose quality going the PDF route- which compresses image, and then saving as a jpeg from that looses more…

retro83
    Free Member

What Frankenstein said – you’ll loose quality going the PDF route- which compresses image, and then saving as a jpeg from that looses more…

TIFF is fine as long as the res is high enough. The benefit of PDF is that it is a vector based format and therefore is not limited to a specific resolution (assuming the Word doc does not just have a big old BMP pasted in it!)

nbt

assuming the Word doc does not just have a big old BMP pasted in it!)

He’s made the design in word. it’ll be a BMP. Word is writing, not drawing. Echo the above about doing it again in proper software, there are LOADS of free image editors out there so why choose to use a word processor for editing images?

Cougar

Alt-printscreen will screengrab the current window.

Paste into paint or, better yet, grab paint.net off the interwebs. Crop to taste.

retro83
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    assuming the Word doc does not just have a big old BMP pasted in it!)
    He’s made the design in word. it’ll be a BMP. Word is writing, not drawing. Echo the above about doing it again in proper software, there are LOADS of free image editors out there so why choose to use a word processor for editing images?

With all due respect, you’re incorrect. Word will output postscript (vector data), when printing its built in shapes and text tools. It’s only output as a bitmap if there is a photograph or similar pasted in.

rOcKeTdOg

No arguing chaps, image editing software? I can only just turn the computer on!

john_drummer
    Free Member

image editing software?

e.g. photoshop. other packages are available; the simplest is Paint, but it really is simple

nbt

retro83 – Member

With all due respect, you’re incorrect. Word will output postscript (vector data), when printing its built in shapes and text tools. It’s only output as a bitmap if there is a photograph or similar pasted in.

Fair enough, happy to be corrected as I didn’t know that. I use word for word processing, I use photoshop for image editing

rOcKeTdOg, think in bike terms. You wouldn’t use a hammer instead of a spanner: You wouldn’t buy and Intense M6 to use solely for commuting: you don’t use word for making pictures. Irfanview is free and well recommend it – google it, install it, learn to use it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I haven’t edited pictures for years now but using office to type reports.

So whats the easiest to use and is better than paint?

Photoshop? I’ll have to get myself a copy and start weaving!

Also when printing to image (not printer) via word and you can save the file using bitmap, jpeg or Tiff etc so you have plenty of options.

I think office 2010 has more editing options which I need to get a personal copy soon!

geoffj

STW graphic designers in being snobs shocker!

With all due respect nbt, if its been done in Word, its more likely to be vector-based and as such if you are going to recommend a better more professional programme, then it would probably be something like Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand or (free) Inkspace.

But TBH if Word can do what RD wants then what is the problem?

rootes1

If you don’t have pdf writer, the use Windows mdi (Microsoft document imagining) printer and set output to .tiff should be an option in your word printer options, though in later xp and win 7 it is hidden – you will have to look up on the web on how to unaided.

Cougar

So whats the easiest to use and is better than paint?

As above, Paint.NET. http://www.getpaint.net/

It reminds me of what Paint Shop Pro used to be like before it started taking itself too seriously.

rOcKeTdOg

so i downloaded inkspace and was able to paste the word image into it, looked fine in hi res, saved it as a jpeg and forwarded it to the printer, waiting to hear back if it was good enough

cheers all

rOcKeTdOg

so word to jpg via Gil@thecycleshed produces this

365-274 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘word file to.jpg’ is closed to new replies.