Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Worcester Bosch and nest
  • g5604
    Free Member

Getting a Worcester greenstar 34cdi, I want to try out nest – does this mean I can buy just the boiler without any programmer/controls?

MikeG

I’ve got a nest on a greenstar 28cdi which works fine but just after we had the nest fitted bosch released their own smart control which has the ability to vary the power output depending on demand/external temp/difference in current and requested temp etc.
    With Nest (and all other non bosch controllers) the boiler operates at 100% power when on.
    I think the price was comparable to nest as well.

Saying that, in answer to your question, nest replaces the other programmers and controls so you just need the boiler.

g5604
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Worcester wave and tried the app – nest looks a lot more modern and I think is more likely to be developed

DrP

I have a WB boiler – 38 or 40 combi thing.
    And NEST – i opted for nest over the WB own one as I thought it would have more future compatibility – it does, i.e amazon echo control etc.

Last week out NEST crashed. Kaput! The thermostat was dead. We could still turn on heating by tapping the heat link, but obviously only on/off, no timing..
    Thankfully nest sent out a new unit yesterday and I fitted it (need to install new heat link too, as they are factory paired) and all good again.

DrP

bruneep

yes its what we have

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Nest and WB Greenstar here too.

You might want to think about how you’re going to power the Nest, I found it to be a bit of a faff but I have a solution now. The thermostat part of it is obviously wireless from the boiler but it still needs a power supply. If you don’t have old thermostat wiring in place to power the Nest from the base unit then you need to use the USB power adapter. This is annoying as you can’t chase the cable from the back of a socket, as you need 12V, not 240V.

In the end I got sick of having the wire hanging loose down the wall so I fitted another socket the other side of the wall (behind a book shelf) and put the cable through the wall.

What has everyone else done? I also considered using a 12V light transformer but that seems overkill for such a small amount of power and also quite bulky.

g5604
    Free Member

We have a old thermostat so I assumed the nest could use its wiring? Otherwise I guess you buy the stand and put it on a surface somewhere.

Flaperon

Exactly the same combination here, works well. The heatlink has knockouts on the back for cable entry which many people (even professional installers) seem to overlook.

Bimbler
    Free Member

We’re getting a new heating system and one option is all WB, boiler (I think Greenstar 30CDi), unvented tank and Wave. The accredited installer seems very insistent on the Wave when I questioned him about it in comparison to Nest et al To be fair he probably wears Worcester Bosch pyjamas such is his loyalty, maybe big discounts on price for him?

I too fear the lack of development of an inhouse system vs a universal system.

Found this thread on a plumbers forum, from 2015

DrP

Our sparky (whilst rewiring the whole house) sourced a USB socket, which is 5v ish output. This has the transformer etc in it. This is in the cupboard near where the NEST is, so the USB cable is plugged into that, chased in teh wall, and goes into the unit. All hidden.

DrP

bruneep

I dropped the wire down the cavity and took it out at the usb socket

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Worcester Bosch and nest’ is closed to new replies.