• This topic has 62 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Wooohoooooooo Its all over. What the hell do I do now?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that binners. My dad was a graphic designer in Manchester too. He had similar problems (albeit a long time ago), and after much ado, decided to get out and work by himself. Too late, he realised where the money was and ran a reasonably succesful business doing it until he died. might be worth having a look at (this business, not dying).

He worked out that he could live on the proceeds of characatures for presentations and birthday presents, and 'artists representations' of small house building projects. Piss easy work for him and people are prepared to spend a lot of mopney for them. Clearly i could well be teaching you to stuck eggs but the gist is, like making bikes, if you can find a niche that's not being filled locally, you might be able to get by at least.

He even turned his hand to carving little wooden statues for people that looked just like his characatures near the end.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Ourmaninthenorth that's a cracking post.

MrNutt
    Free Member

chin up Binners, as the talking heads say, rip it up and start again 🙂 good luck!

jedi

sorry to hear that binners

ourmaninthenorth

I'm tenpted to ask you to sort my life out..

Life coaching can be very costly, you know…

Asda don't always have cheap suits in.

😀

mrsflash
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Binners. All the best.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I was there a while ago. Applied for a couple of jobs in Ireland, got them both, took a pick, moved over and… life is good when somebody else needs to pay for my "knowledge". Good luck, fella.

Philby

Sorry to hear about your news – this recession is buggering up lots of small companies. If only you were a bank and the government bailed you out and you could award yourself a multi-million pound salary and bonus package.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Coasting
    Free Member

Move to NZ,a country with a lot sunnier disposition,although its starting to fill quickly with disillusioned poms.

tyger
    Free Member

Just a word of clarity – some well mean folk on here are suggesting signing on and getting £60 a week. Firstly it only lasts 6 months (better than nothing) but…if you've been self employed you may not qualify due to NI Stamp – sorry, but I'd hate to get your hopes up incorrectly at this time.
    I was made redundant for the first time ever last year, was out of work for 6 months and now doing one of the best jobs I've ever had – it can be a change for the best. Grit your teeth and run with but try to keep positive.
    If you need any help re. your CV drop me a line.
    All the best – Paul

vinnyeh

All the best binners, sounds like it wasn't the best of years for you. Been in a similar situation (though nothing to do with customers not being able to cough up, more my own incompetence).

Sometimes it's best to get out while things aren't totally screwed- you'll still have the option to do it again in the future, when the market recovers, if you get the will back.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What a shitter binners 🙁
    Good luck with the future, I'm sure it will work out ok.

Trekster

waynekerr – Member

Get a job teaching, you don't have to work most of the time.
    B*****ks..my daughter spent most of her Xmas hols preping for the start of the new term and she only has nursery, 52 kids mind

wwaswas

"its starting to fill quickly with disillusioned poms"

I think that's rather been the case since 1642…

DaRC_L

Commiserations binners – similar happened to my Dad's business years ago.

Karinofnine

Sorry to hear your news. Chin up! Something will turn up.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

There's a bit of freelance Mac work around at the moment. The two ad agencies I've worked at in the past year were a bit happy to wield the axe on studio/design people and are now making massive use of freelancers to complete their work.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

+ 1 for training (others)

I've been training/consulting with businesses on our home-grown software for years. Very satisfying passing on knowledge and experience to people who want and value it (a bit like a permanent STW forum!). Note this is very different to being on the customer services side where people just moan at you about the software!

binners

Cheers for all the pointers folks. Just coming round after a frankly enormous bender. I wasn't going to do it, but ourmaninthenorths suggestion was too good to resist 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Just coming round after a frankly enormous bender. I wasn't going to do it, but ourmaninthenorths suggestion was too good to resist

I hope the cell wasn't too uncomfortable…. 😀

spacemonkey

Binners, as per my other thread, can you PM me because your email isn't in your profile (unless I just can't see it for some reason).

Cheers

binners

YGM fella

nbt

Just coming round after a frankly enormous bender

So you did go out with Hora after all that?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Wooohoooooooo Its all over. What the hell do I do now?’ is closed to new replies.