Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Woodworking Types – What Router?
  • BigJohn

I need a new router, mostly for making grooves in cupboards to take a back panel, trimming worktops etc.

I’ve seen a massive range of prices for what seems essentially the same thing. £60 up to £300.

What’s the benefit of an expensive one and what’s the minimum spec I need for occasional use?

wwaswas

trimming worktops needs somethign with some grunt – 1/2″ and big motor (and use a fresh cutter each time). Most people will leave worktops to someone with the right jigs and experience, tbh – it’s so easy to get wrong and it spoils the look of the whole kitchen if you don’t get it 100% right.

for the other stuff a smaller 1/4″ one would be fine.

Like all power tools you can do the job with a cheap one but you end up fighting the tool to get a decent finish out of it. Themore you pay the more bells and whistles you get and the easier it is to use it.

I’ve got a Trend seems to be a good compromise for price/performance.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have an older version of this:

clicky

Although i’ve never done a worktop with it, Its come out of the shed a few times for cupboards. I’ve been pleased with it. (complete amateur)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

For trimming worktops you need a hefty 1/2″ router but they can be a bit unwealdy for smaller jobs so you need a lighter one, too. Expensive ones will give a better finish as they have less play. You probably don’t need to go crazy.

This is a nice lighter duty one: trend T4EK but it won’t do a worktop. Maybe a Ryobi or something second hand for that.

BigJohn

Splendid advice chaps. I’ll get a lightweight one for now and when somebody needs a kitchen fitting I’ll factor a Trend into the price. Or persuade them that a jointing strip looks nice. 😕

tyke
    Free Member

As others have said a 1/4″ is fine for small jobs or when you need to use the router in difficult to access spots. Trend do a 1/4″ and also offer refurb jobs. Check out:Trend Clearance for a cheap £55+VAT job.

Tyke

Dobbo

Just ordered one of these yesterday, good power, good price and rave reviews.

Bosch Router

BigJohn

Must be a singlespeed thing because I went and bought one of those JCB ones from B&Q. Flipping good for £72

catnash
    Free Member

Used to be Elu in my day, not sure what the modern equivalent is though.

slimraybob
    Free Member

Used to be the ELU Mof 177e 1/2 inch router, after the takeover this became the De Walt 625ek, I have one of each and without a doubt the best of the bunch, worth spending the extra money on.

erny
    Free Member

DeWalt are trend are the same company they are owned by black and decker but the DeWalt seem to be a bit cheaper,they also took over Elu many years ago,as others have said unless you are cutting worktops (and know what you are doing) and have a worktop jig just get a 1/4″ router,ryobi are good value for money are good for the price,I have DeWalt 1/4″ and 1/2″ and a makita 1/2″ router and would buy DeWalt every time now.If you are after a worktop jig go for a trend one.I’m and joiner and kitchen so I use them daily.

chickenman

I have used the big Elu since ’91 and it’s been great apart from not being able to duest extract with the collet on. The bearings are now making a racket since I’ve started doing Corian type worktops…I might have to sell my butt down the docks and buy Festool! 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Woodworking Types – What Router?’ is closed to new replies.