Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Woodworkers – your advice please
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I need to sort out my tools as they are all knackered and I want to get back into it. Where should I look to get a decent set of tools, plane,chisels, set square tenon saw etc..

Any good deals on buying as a kit?

goldfish24

For the main hand tools such as planes and chisels there’s a lot to be said for buying quality old tools off Ebay. However, you’ll then end up restoring tools as much as working wood, so consider new. I’ve heard very good things said about the Axminster rider plans, which are as cheap as you’ll get for a quality new plane. Avoid new Stanley, but go ahead and buy old Stanley if you’re prepared for some extra work.
    Axminster is a good site for other hand tools. I’m no chisel expert. For saws, you can go the old route and then you’ll need to buy a sharpening file and set and learn how to use it, but modern inexpensive hand saws are actually razor sharp since they have hardened teeth. They can’t be sharpened but they’re good for a while, I personally buy such tools from screwfix when needed. I find tool station is usually cheaper but lower quality.
    As for set squares most people have moved away from the wooden carpenters squares and now use engineers squares (because they stay square). Try Axminster online or screwfix.

sandboy

The quality of the steel on old chisels is far superior to what you get now unless you are spending big bucks. The ones I inherited from my Grandad hold an edge for ages and the wooden handles are lovely, just remember to use a mallet. Hard point tenon saws are very good and not worth the time or cost of a buying a file to sharpen a normal saw. Planes are easily cleaned with wet and dry or steel wool and once done, keep wrapped in an oily rag to prevent it doing the same again. Buy a good quality diamond stone for honing chisels and plane irons. Decent squares and gauges can be got from Screwfix or have a look at Axminster online?
    Weird, I was writing my post while the above was being posted!

goldfish24

And if you fancy spending big on something new and nice checkout http://www.workshopheaven.com

neilwheel
    Free Member

I swapped to using pull saws for fine work a long time back.

Screwfix do Irwin for fairly cheap, which are okay, and a more expensive brand which I have not used.

I now use Vaughan from Folkstone Fixings: http://www.ffx.co.uk

The handle fits any of the blades and they do a coarse cut blade too.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Have a look at Paul Sellers on Youtube. He recommends cheap chisels from Aldi (I think). The sharpening is important.

project
    Free Member

axminster power tools also have stores to visit and try stuff, good quality own brand stuff along with branded stuff, theres also good s/h stuff online available.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 Axminster tools
    +1 pull saws
    +1 Paul sellers on YouTube.

Note I am strictly an armature. Pros may have different views.

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

Paul Sellers is a good shout, especially if you just want to get some cheap and very functional hand tools that may need a bit of work. That man has a tremendous amount of videos on youtube and is well worth a watch.

If hand tools are your thing then Richard Maguire (theenglishwoodworker.com) is also worth a look, his online (paid) courses are brilliant.

Plenty of older tools on eBay but well worth taking your time to find a bargain.

Workshop Heaven has some nice shiny things and have a good price on Quangsheng Jack Plane at the moment if you prefer new tools.

I use Woodworkersworkshop.co.uk as I am a full time student at the school that is attached.

Veritas tools have recently dropped in price (by a third on average) and are well worth the price tag in my opinion. I have a fair amount of veritas tools and love the Low Angle Jack and Low Angle Smoothing planes.

During the first few weeks at school I got to use a lot of tools before buying my own stuff, if you want any advice on brands etc then get in touch via PM, my email is in my profile.

good luck.

maccruiskeen

Note I am strictly an armature

And a handsome one at that

In addition to the above – Rutland tools can have some good deals from time to time. For special bits and bobs Dictum in germany have quite an extensive catalogue, particularly of japanese style stuff like pull saws – from the very spendy to some quite decent value kit.

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks, what I really need as well is access to a workshop like my old school woodwork rooms. Wonder if anywhere locally does this without you having to do a course with them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Woodworkers – your advice please’ is closed to new replies.