Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Woodworker question: ancient oak
  • BillMC

FiL has three oak beams c.12″ x 18″ x 10′. They come from a Norman church (built 1300) which was partially demolished 40 yrs ago due to mining subsidence. They’ve been kept off the ground and have no woodworm. Is there a demand/market for this sort of stuff? I would hate to see it go to waste. The field it’s in has gate entry but I suspect they will be a bit of a challenge to move.

kayak23

Definitely a market. Architectural salvage companies would be interested.
    Alternatively, eBay etc would get some interest from renovationists.

rene59
    Free Member
    Houns

Yes definitely a market, but could you use them? Mantelpiece? Shelves? Knife block? Table? Etc etc

BillMC

He’s already provided us with wood to go over the woodburner (ofcourse!) and I haven’t got a workshop nor the tools I would dearly love to do something with it.

Houns

Where in world is it?

BillMC

Staffordshire, outside Stoke.

dovebiker

Would probably make a lovely rustic table and bench – you could probably barter the beams in exchange for a nice piece of furniture. I’d certainly not give them away.

sandboy

Not quite rhe same but the Methodist Church in our village was pulled down, the land used for a new housing devlopment. All the timber from the demolition was piled up in what looked to be a potential bonfire. I asked the builders and they told me they intended to burn it all to save money on skips. They gave me permission to salvage what I could and in turn made some furniture, shelving and free standing units. I sold these items at a local car boot sale and they were quickly snapped up by parishoners who wanted a recycled piece of the old church.

CountZero

nor the tools I would dearly love to do something with it.

And you’d need bloody good ones for oak that’s been seasoning for 700 years! The centre will be like iron.
    Still, timber like that has real value for restoration, just like stone flags and flooring tiles, Cotswold stone tiles, all that sort of stuff.
    There’s an old brewery in a local village that’s been undergoing restoration as a home for eighteen months or so, for a fairly well-known actor, and I had an opportunity to have a look round, due to family connections with the village.
    The work done inside is fantastic, new oak stairs and a mezzanine gallery in one large room, old stone flags in some rooms where it was just a packed earth floor, diamond black and red tiles in others, shutters and ventilation slats have been either patched or replaced with reclaimed old timber, just a superb example of sensitive restoration using age appropriate reclaimed materials so oak beams of that age have to have value, burning them would be almost an act of criminal vandalism!

timber

10′ is a bit on the short side to be re-used in a structure, best return would probably be halving it and profiling it for beam fascias over fireplaces if you have the means.

We still have an 18′ beam sitting in one of our barns at work, there were 3 more, 2 went into historic renovations and the other was milled for some fascia pieces over a steel beam. About 20 years since it was replaced with newer timber. There is a market, but it is small and infrequent, we just happen to have the space to store it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Woodworker question: ancient oak’ is closed to new replies.