Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Woodturners, pro or am, do we have any? Advice sought.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I had a go at wood turning many years ago and really rather enjoyed it. So now that I have time on my hands I’m thinking i’d like to buy my own lathe and start again making a few bits and pieces, but just as a hobby.

Obviously eBay and Amazon are littered with Starter Kits, anything from about 60 euros up to about, well, anything really. But what should I be looking out for as a minimum? Types of chuck, power/torque. bed, etc etc

I really would be very grateful for advice from someone with experience of these things. Obviously the rest of you can just take the p**s.

project
    Free Member

Axminster power tools do basic and more rugged models,also Record power tools, theres no need for chucks use a fork centre or a faceplate, worked for me for numerous years, get decent tools and an oilstone or diamond stone, a dust extractor helps with the dust, or a industrial vac, with power takeoff, eg it powers up when you switch lathe on and of when you switch off.

Safety glasess are a must as is an apron or smock,a bandsaw is handy for cutting circular blanks as is a hand plane to remove corners from square stock.

Enjoy its quite adictive.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks Project, that’s really helpful. I shall check them both out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Woodturners, pro or am, do we have any? Advice sought.’ is closed to new replies.