Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • woodists, crafty types and carpenters…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

lend my your knowledge!!

evening,
    i am in the process of making a little Nordic knife, NOT A PLUG MODS!! and i want to do a dual wood handle. the front half will be purpleheart and the rear i want something that finishes with a page green colour, separated with a stainless steel band
    the only issue is that i cant find anything apart from lignum vitae that finishes green.
    so… anyone have any knowledge of a wood that is pale green when finished?
    cheers

finishthat
    Free Member

Bamboo would <sic> possibly provide a real contrast

daftvader
    Free Member

yes it would, but i need it in a block as its a stick tang knife….

muggomagic

You can get a light green finish from olive ash or tulip

maccruiskeen

Mulberry Root maybe, but its supposedly not very easy to work with. I think a lot of the problem with any woods that do have a greenish tinge is on most instances the green will turn brown over time. The green is also going to be very subtle next to the purple heart – I doubt many people would register it.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

tulip for a very pale green if you get the right piece

edt – beaten by muggomatic – try also piranha pine if its still available ?

daftvader
    Free Member

tulip is a very odd wood, it is almost never just one colour or it has no colour at all… olive ash isn’t one i have looked at, will have a gander. will also have a look at mulberry root, i need it to have little grain structure as purpleheart hasn’t got much. and yes most final colours of woods go brown over time, but for a website piece and something which will weather WITH the purple heart i dont think that will be an issue…

hammerite
    Free Member

I don’t really know how Instagram works, but this is my mate who does all sorts with wood, drop him a message (if you can do such things on Instagram!). http://www.imgrum.net/user/paul_spoons/2112461785

Might be slow replying, he’s on a two week canoe trip.

freeagent
    Free Member

Er.. greenheart can finish fairly green. If you can find it. Similar density to purple heart so a good match..

slackalice
    Free Member

freeagent has it.

daftvader
    Free Member

Greenheart isn’t that green, plus it’s about as toxic as wood can get without being filled with creosote!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘woodists, crafty types and carpenters…’ is closed to new replies.