Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wooden worktops, Varnish vs Oil
  • footflaps

Did some repair work to the beech worktops at the weekend. After 12+ years in situ the original oil coating was failing around the sink and the wood starting to degrade, so I took the sink out and sanded down the area around the hole:

before:[url=https://flic.kr/p/odivHn]Untitled[/url] by brf, on Flickr

After:[url=https://flic.kr/p/odhBJd]Untitled[/url] by brf, on Flickr

So I found the Juncker rustic oil container in the shed, but after 12+ years it had solidified into a solid lump, so I used some Ronseal Diamond Varnish instead (as I had that kicking about).

Anyway, what’s the longevity of oil vs varnish for wood? I got about 12 years out of the original 3 coats of oil….

GrahamS

In true STW style I have no idea about the original question, but I would recommend Osmo TopOil for kitchen worktops:

We give it a top up roughly every 18 months just by applying some with a cloth. I think you’re expected to top up most oil finishes every now and then, so 12 years on the original coat is good going.

mega
    Free Member

nice job

oil every time mate

You would not have been able to do that sand back so easily if it had been varnish. Plus if you use the same brand of oil as was originally applied you only have to re-oil the sanded area to achieve an even finish.

Just sanded and re-oiled our worktops after 5 years of scratches and knocks and they look smart as new again.

footflaps

Plus if you use the same brand of oil as was originally applied you only have to re-oil the sanded area to achieve an even finish.

Well after 12 years it’s never going to match as the UV has darkened the rest of the worktops, so I now have a lighter coloured 2-3″ around the sink. However, I suspect it will blend in after a few months exposure to the sun. No where local sells Junkers oil, so I just made did with what I had to hand…

mega
    Free Member

I missed the bit where you said you had already varnished it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s going to blend in anytime soon as it sounds like you’ve finished the freshly sanded back bit with a different (possibly water based?) product. I’d sand the whole thing back with your Rotex and re-finish with the Osmo TopOil that Gee2DaEss recommended.

footflaps

If I was going to sand it all back, I’d use the Juckers Rustic Oil as that has proved to be very long lasting.

However, I’ll leave it for now as I have a whole queue of other DIY jobs and the worktop is no longer rotting…

jamj1974

Osmo top oil.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wooden worktops, Varnish vs Oil’ is closed to new replies.