Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wooden kitchen work tops, where from?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

I’m looking t freshen up the kitchen and want a nice oak worktop. Loads of places to get them from, however looking for recommendations. Someone who can pre cut the sink etc would be good.
    Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Perimeter counter tops from Ikea. I made the centre island using some from an ebay seller. Not sure who would do the sink cut out though. TBH patience, some good blades and a cheap jigsaw and you should be able to do it yourself.

druidh
    Free Member

Ikea. I used a jigsaw for cutting the sink/hob. If you are used to cutting pine and other softwoods, just be prepared for the fact that oak is a lot tougher.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Better off hiring a big router and worktop will get a better finish and less likely to get angled cuts.

Also have ikea oak, and a bit of honister slate.

tinybits
    Free Member

Ikea would be great, but I think they only do 2.5m lengths and I need a 3.0m. Happy enough doing the work, but need a reputable supplier.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – I used a router for corners and other, visible, cuts. Not too fussed under the hob/sink edge though.

geoffj

Ikea would be great, but I think they only do 2.5m lengths and I need a 3.0m.

Biscuit jointer?

wallop

How do you cut work tops to fit angles which aren’t exactly 90 degrees?

Stoner
    Free Member

Or you can use these instead of biscuits if you have access to a router:

Stoner
    Free Member

How do you cut work tops to fit angles which aren’t exactly 90 degrees?

a work top jig, router, angle finder, and big balls.

EDIT> BTW those three “dog bone end” slots on that jig are for the jointing bolts.

scousebri
    Free Member

If you are looking at fitting an oak top then i think you would be best steering clear of cheap jigsaws etc. Could end up being a costly mistake. Hire a router and sink and mason jig from HSS. Practice on a few old pieces of timber, When you have got the confidence just go for it, slow and steady, cutting at a 10mm depth with each run of the router.Better still get a trades man in to do it for you.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

screwfix,and if your quick get b and q to price match,they will give you extra discount,i bought beech,sure they do oak though

bruneep

Oh expect to see another ad for cheap wooden kitchens anytime soon

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got access to more woodworking tools than you could shake a stick at, from hand routers to 4m bed, 5 axis CNC machines. I really don’t want a joint the thing is, it’s actually not worth doing if I can get a 3m piece and simply cut out a sink and trim to exact length. Easy win that way!

Stoner
    Free Member

3m lengths available on eBay delivered.

Go for the largest dimension staves that you can for the price youre willing to pay.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I buy mine from here but delivery may be the killer. The prime oak is of very good quality and finishes up nicely. Probably used them on 20 customers kitchens now as well as my own house.

http://www.woodworktops.com

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Stoner is right, get 40mm x 40mm staves if you can.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Worktop express

Our kitchen is from Ikea but went with worktop express as we needed lengths greater than 2.5m too.

harrytoo
    Free Member

After a disaster in cutting worktops while doing my previous kitchen we used:

Barncrest

Made to measure, millimeter perfect, cut outs completed for Hob and underslung sink, drainer grooves cut, taphole drilled, ready for me to lift into place.

Was very impressed.

tinybits
    Free Member

Some good links there, many thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wooden kitchen work tops, where from?’ is closed to new replies.