Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wooden Garage – buy one or build my own?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Want to replace my tatty falling down sheet metal eyesore of a garage with a wooden one, and would like to have a log store running down the side.

Can anyone recommend decent companies to get the kits from, or alternatively, and decent websites were I can get some plans to do my own.

(I have joiner and builder mates who can help me out with tools, concrete mixer and so on).

footflaps

For my workshop, I got a local Structural Engineering company to draw up plans for me – was something like £200.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

how big?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

Father in law built his own tractor shed (approx 30ft x 20ft). All he used was DIY tools. He’s a clever sod though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

how big?

About 12′ x 18′ , roughly.

RustyMac

I have always liked the look of the 44mm log cabins on the tiger sheds site.
    At worst it would give you an idea on prices.

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_list.asp?cat1=9&cat2=0&order=0&records=1&view=all

wrightyson
    Free Member

Built many a thing like that including the company office which must be 6mx3m. Cls frame, breathable felt and cedar shiplap. Main things your floor design and what its expected loads could be, rests a doddle!

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye but footflaps how much did your 200 quid plans transpire into for the finished thing ?

you spent more on your floor than i spent on an 8 x 10 shed finished article…..

as wrightyson says CLS frame some 17mm shiplap , ply sheeting for the roof and some felt.

maybe time to learn to lay blocks ? Id rattle a blockwork shed up if i could rather than wood although woods cheaper and easier to work with it requires regular maintainance

Joe

Oh dear…not another blockwork shed.

footflaps

aye but footflaps how much did your 200 quid plans transpire into for the finished thing ?

That was my choice though. I could have gone for a wooden design, which would have been cheaper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we know a good brickie !

thegreatape
    Free Member

So the consensus seems to be give it a shot myself.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Main thing is as I said your floor design, are you actually going to park a car in it? If so timber isn’t going to be ideal. I could make it work but it would be cheaper to go for a simple concrete base. Regarding the superstructure (above damp) timber is a very forgiving material to work with. Easy to use, join, add onto etc.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll not be putting a car in it, but it do want it to be able to take one so when the day comes I can sell it as a house with a garage rather than a house with a big shed.

The current one already stands on a concrete base, although it’s well past it’s best. I thought it would be easier to make that a little bigger and higher – i.e. completely cover what’s already there – than break it up and remove it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d remove the existing then. Nice 125mm base, 1 layer of a193 mesh on good consolidated ground and youre good to go with anything really.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You mean break it up and completely get rid of it, then make a new one? Would putting more concrete on the old one be a bad idea?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes I’d start from afresh personally, that way you know you’re covered structurally wise especially if the existing base is in such poor shape.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I see. Maybe a trip to the hire shop for one of those pogo stick things then!

tappit
    Free Member

Breeze blocks, then render it, pitched roof, it’ll last forever.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s a call for you to make really, if the existing base is ok then perhaps leave it in. You’d want a min of 50 mm of extra cover and then have the edges thickened (by making it wider and longer) to give better support to the new structure. Countless ways of doing it to be fair. Best thing to do is a cost exercise re removing/relaying base, actual new structure material and size.

thegreatape
    Free Member

OK thanks. I’ll get my mate who’s a builder to have a look.

joepose
    Free Member

I got one of these about 2 years ago and its fantastic:
    http://www.lugarde-garden-buildings.co.uk/lugarde-garages.html
    Fab company to deal with and it comes with everything you need including all of the nails 🙂
    Beleive its added value to the property – you gets what you pay for.

takisawa2

£5,725 incl. VAT

😯

Woman…fetch me the Black & Decker… 🙂

It does look nice though.
    And to be fair, if you’ve a nice house you’ll not be wanting Steptoes Yard hanging off the side of it.

This might be a Cheaper Option.

br
    Free Member

While wood looks nice, I’d brick/block it and if its for workshop etc make sure you insulate and damp-proof.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Talk to Warwick Buildings.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wooden Garage – buy one or build my own?’ is closed to new replies.