Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Woodcuttertrackworld – eucalyptus
  • Rich_s

Got some eucalyptus off a neighbour which has been stored for over a year now. It seems incredibly hard – to the point of being brittle, but still fibrous.

Beautiful bark too – it’ll be a shame to burn it.

Any tips on seasoning time? Anyone burned any before?

geoffj

It’s a bastard to split – especially if not done just after felling 😕
    Burns really well, but can spit a bit – excellent for a stove.
    6 months post splitting will be enough to dry it

Rich_s

Thanks Geoff. He has a 70ft tree so if any more comes off it I’ll make sure I split it sooner!

Just stuck an axe into it for exploratory purposes – it’s gonna take some time…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Smells lovely too – I’m quite jealous

nickhart
    Free Member

Burn it, are you mad? It’s such a beautiful wood, yes it’s a sod to shape and polish but it is so stunning when you put the elbow grease in. I made a clock/thermometer/barometer out of a chunk my brother in law gave me used a cnc router to get it flat and create the pockets for the instruments and then elbow grease for the polishing. Well worth it.

bol

I’ve just spent the afternoon burning some in the garden with some friends and beers (only burning the wood). It smells lovely, burns hot, but yes, is hard work to split. Very much a wood that warms you twice. I used a maul and a wood grenade. Got lots felled this time last year which is burning well now and a load left to split this winter – which should be easier now it’s seasoned.

castanea
    Free Member

Its a bit prone to splitting but if felled wintertime and dried slowly then it can be turned into something pretty.

Rich_s

Mad? I’m from Yorkshire and the wood was free.

To be fair, most of it has started to split as it dries but I have supplied some untainted stuff to my dad who enjoys whittling up bowls and suchlike. It’s proving to be a bugger to split!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Woodcuttertrackworld – eucalyptus’ is closed to new replies.