• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gbss.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Woodbury common thrash(pic)
  • knottie8
    Free Member

Had a great ride on Woodbury common today . Rode my SS for a change and its kinda worn my legs out.

above , Steve blasts the DH bit.
    not so good , when lifting Brians bike from the car I noticed a large crack !

It may explain his inability to steer straight though.

Cracking ride !

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve been in Exeter far too long to have never taken my mtb out to Woodbury..

knottie8
    Free Member

its not a big place but we rode about two ish hrs. Great fun single track.

amedias
    Free Member

its not big, but there are a lot of trails there and if you have the local knowledge to string them together in a workable way and use both sides of the common you can actually get a good 30miles in without re-doing too many bits in the same direction.

knottie8
    Free Member

Amedias
    what do you call both sides ?

saladdodger
    Free Member

time to call the famous “marin warranty department” at least it works 😉

the d/h bit is superb must go back soon

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Looks fantastic!

Have you got any GPS routes or tips for where the good bits on Woodbury are? Like RealMan I have lived round here for years yet never ridden Woodbury…

rexated
    Free Member

Bad news about Brian’s bike! He’ll have to a get a new frame that takes these new-fangled disc brakes!

Good ride today, cheers Paul. I feel like I have a thousand needlestick injuries on my legs though from the gorse…..

Del

been a long time since a knottie pic thread. good to see.
    11:30 @ the hub tomorrow. ( Steve, i’m looking at you 😀 )

Bucko

There was talk of a forum ride around Woodbury a while back. I walk my dog there all the time but wouldn’t really know where to start with linking a good bike ride up.

It was pretty dry up there today though, much drier than Haldon

rexated
    Free Member

11:30 @ the hub tomorrow. ( Steve, i’m looking at you )

hello del. i can’t make tomorrow, but for future reference where’s the hub? it that the place at haldon? – i must get over there to see the off-piste sometime 😀

saladdodger
    Free Member

rexated – Member
    Bad news about Brian’s bike! He’ll have to a get a new frame that takes these new-fangled disc brakes!

😮

yunki
    Free Member

nice that..
    I used to be able to wring a 30+ mile loop out of the area 3 or 4 times per week, that included the ride along the Sustran’s route from Exmouth to Dalditch at the beginning and end but there’s plenty more to be had..

amedias
    Free Member

Amedias
    what do you call both sides ?

by both sides I mean the North side encompassing the old castle, military shooting range and everything from Hawkerland down towards Yettington, and the the south side with the quarry, Bystock and the bits towards the Reservoir.

Normally drive or ride out from Exeter to 4 Firs car park and do a kind of wiggly figure of 8 with criss-crossy bits filling in the loops of the 8 if that makes sense?

Or if tight for time on a short one you can just do the figure of 8 and it’s about 10 – 15 miles depending on the route.

ska-49
    Free Member

Looks like you guys had fun!

I did a lot training up there with the RM and have always fancied taking a bike but never seemed to have enough spare time/energy to leave camp and head up that way. Maybe when I go down to to learn new modules..

ell_tell
    Free Member

From exmouth originally & used to ride the common a lot going back about 15 years ago. Looks better than I remember it, must have changed a lot.

Would be interested in a forum ride if one ever was arranged too. Pretty sure there was an Xmas ride arranged one year…

knottie8
    Free Member

Ok . I’ll post on here next time Im going that way , probably be short notice but open to all who want to ride the common for a few hrs.

knottie8
    Free Member

gbss
    Free Member

I’ve just moved back to the area, I used to race XC at Woodbury, back in around ’92 I think. It’s been a long time. I’m up for meeting up there and doing a few hours for sure.

Let me know when you’re heading out…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Those early 90’s series races were great… dog turd alley back then! 😕

Not been back there since, really must give it anoter go….

gbss
    Free Member

God, the dog shit, I had forgotten, but yes, we called it “Dog turd alley” too. Haha.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Woodbury common thrash(pic)’ is closed to new replies.