Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Woodbury common , Nr Exeter , anyone riding there these days ?
  • knottie8
    Free Member

As above realy , I fancy popping down there over xmas for an easy spin and wondered how its riding ?

ajantom

Very good before the snow – not sure of the conditons now, but probably ok if the ground is still frozen.

The bridleway along the east edge was lovely the weekend before last.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Not ridden up there for a long while, give Del a shout over the xmas period, there’s plently of new good stuff up on Haldon we could show you round.

knottie8
    Free Member

Mmmmm Haldon , I’ll be down there too at some point over xmas.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Knottie:
    I’m the opposite side of the valley, with Haldon staring at me out my window. Our village only got moving yesterday, and still skating rink in places. Delivered Xmas cards to friends further up the lane today and it’s deep compressed snow/ice. Today’s the first time since monday when stuff has actually started to drip in the sun.
    My wife went over Okehampton way yesterday and thought we’d got more snow over this side for once, and villagers here saying it’s the worst/best/deepest since 1977.
    If you make the trip down, just make sure you can actually get up to the ridge. I’m not sure what condition the roads will be in…..
    Happy Christmas all….
    Q

carlphillips
    Free Member

@burchy1….if there is an xmas ride around haldon I’d love to find more cheeky stuff up there, we were shown around by some locals ages ago (just before red route was built) and got to ride some great trails but so far have failed to find any more…now if there is new cheekyness to be had I’d love to ride it.!!
    mail in profile if you are up there anytime..night rides included as im only down in plymouth

Burchy1
    Free Member

FMH – I’m away from tomorrow unfortunately, the best thing to do is come out on the wednesday night ride, 6:30 at the Ley Arms in Kenn or 7pm at the top of the cyclepath.

scraprider
    Free Member

check haldon first as the trails were closed to snow, yes really they were , could be open now tho, im up there mon or tues for a few hours doing some off piste stuff

Christowkid
    Free Member

Scraprider:
    Thanks for that, after posting to Knottie I wondered if he thought me mad saying it’s still snowy here! ( especially as i hadn’t twigged he could have simply blasted down the dual carriageway instead of using the backroads….duh)
    For info – it still is frozen over here, roads still encased in snow and ice, so if the trails were closed because of snow, I suspect they still are. I’d check before travelling…..
    cheers
    Q

Del

when we rode Haldon wednesday night we were obviously the first down some of the trails. We battered our way down Angry Man’s Gates through snow that was at least a foot deep, if not more. fun, but not much of a ride TBH. anything along or up was a push. our road is still frozen over. i wouldn’t have thought woodbury would be much better at the mo. frustrating, having time to ride but nowhere to go!
    Si rode Manaton sort of area on thursday and reportedly that was still heavy going.
    we were hoping to get up to the FOD tomorrow, and uplift there tuesday, but unless it thaws real quick i can’t see that happening.
    Knottie – drop me a mail with your number. i texted you my new one a couple of months ago, but suspect it went to your old phone?

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers burchy, i’ll tag on some night rides wed nights, thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Woodbury common , Nr Exeter , anyone riding there these days ?’ is closed to new replies.