Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Woodburnertrackworld – ash disposal
  • ratherbeintobago

Landfill bin or composting bin?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Garden.

redstripe
    Free Member

Chuck it over borders and veg patch in garden

disco_stu
    Free Member

It can be put into the compost or in the garden, it depends on how much you are talking about as well

alanl
    Free Member

Around any ‘woody’ fruit bushes/trees. They love it. Goosegogs to apples.
    Not sure about vines/berries.

Stoner
    Free Member

I produce a lot from the furnace and two stoves. Some goes in the compost but too much can over do it. The rest gets spread at the foot of the willow coppice.

ratherbeintobago

To clarify, I don’t really do much gardening but there is a garden waste bin the council get every week, which I gather goes to an industrial composter. From what’s been said above, tipping the ask in there should be OK?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ash is good for fertiliser once composted, but check with your council before putting it in your garden waste bin.

Vader
    Free Member

Depends what you are burning IMO, if you are a habitual skip raider I probably wouldn’t put it on my veg patch or in the compost

ulysse
    Free Member

A good winter ice grit for grip on icey pathways

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Was something I have wondered about (fire yet to be installed), what if you don’t have a garden to spread it on?.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It goes on our compost and leaf mould and grass cutting heaps,

When I’ve burned big piles of arb waste in the field and then a cereal crop has been planted on the site the potash has a dramatic effect on growth. You see a distinct hump forming as the fertiliser does its thing

Alphabet

Veg patch and compost heap here.

neilnevill
    Free Member

If you don’t have a garden, just put it in the dustbin when cold. You’ll not generate much volume anyway.

Anybody else getting loads of queen wasps in their stacks this year? I’ve had one dozy one climb out the wood I’d brought as far as the conservatory, just carried a piece from the stack and put straight in the stove as I could see at least 3 wasps in its cracks…. Turn around to be dive bombed by another that must have been in the wood brought in a few hours ago and stacked by the stove. Lost sight of her above the kitchen wall units…. Damn. Dozy queen wasp in the kitchen, great.

willjones
    Free Member

Has anyone had good results from chucking ash on the lawn?

Stoner
    Free Member

Regularly find half a dozen queen wasps over the winter that come in on the wood. They’re v dozen though so aren’t much of a challenge for the ol’ swatter

neilnevill
    Free Member

Jeez! Just had number 6 buzz me! 6 in 2 months, 5 in 24 hours! I’ve seen my local wood pecker in my wood shed a few times recently…. He must be getting too fat to fly or he’s not a good pecker!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Woodburnertrackworld – ash disposal’ is closed to new replies.