Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Woodburner Q
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The house we have bought has a small AGA woodburner in the living room. It is set on a stone hearth about 6inches away from the wall which is wallpapered.
    Due to the heat from the burner the wallpaper is coming away from the wall. My idea is to place something on the wall behind the burner to protect the wall and stop the paper peeling.
    Any ideas? Nice piece of Lakeland slate or would that split with the heat?
    Cheers, Steve.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s not been installed with sufficient clearance to combustibles. c.500mm for something like an Aga Wenlock.

if clearances arent going to be increased, then the plasterboard needs removing and replacing with a cementous board.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can he not just put the fireproof board over the plasterboard to protect it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve a new installation that might be the same, though our stove doesn’t protrude from the wall plane. Does yours? I think some kind of decorative stone facing panel would be needed

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

@ stoner, the walls are 2ft thick stone (we live in a cottage) so no plasterboard. The paper has been applied to a plastered/rendered wall.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

thecaptain
    Free Member

We have tiles round the stove area, which may be special heatproof ones (IIRC, previous owner did it).

Stoner
    Free Member

So long as there is no wooden stud, plasterboard or lath involved in the wall construction then AIUI plaster on stone or block/brick is sufficiently non combustible construction. As for what stone finish to use I have no idea.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Tiles would work, I guess they can be fixed to the finish coat plaster under the wallpaper

sharkbait
    Free Member

But even if there was a stud wall behind the stove I think it’s OK to just fit a heatproof finish (i.e. tiles/metal sheet/board on top of the plasterboard.
    Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I just put 6 30cm x 30cm slate floor tiles behind mine.

No problems. Cheap and match the expensive slate hearth it sits on.

poolman
    Free Member

I had a local ironmonger make up a metal plate with c 1 inch sides, the size of the logburner. I put the insulating material in you buy in a big sheet and mounted said plate on Wall behind burner.

I don’t use it much but when at full burn seems to reflect the heat away from the wall.

Stoner
    Free Member

But even if there was a stud wall behind the stove I think it’s OK to just fit a heatproof finish (i.e. tiles/metal sheet/board on top of the plasterboard.
    Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong though.

I dont think you can. Its not the combustibility of the surface that is classified, but of the entire construction. Any wood or paper within the construction would be a no no.

However, I think I was once told that a cement board, stood off a combustible construction by a non combustible mount with a 1/2″ air gap would count. But Ive not seen reference to that construction method anywhere else.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner Q’ is closed to new replies.