Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Woodburner fitting – How much!!!
  • ononeorange

“It really shouldn’t be a two day job unless you have a house made of cheese”

Or the “installers” have never done it before, have no tools and are just making it up as they go along.

banks
    Free Member

Unlucky, can you get a refund or someone else or are stuck with idiots who leave stuff at home

ononeorange

Sorry, am just fuming after 4 weeks of mayhem. The upside is that we have only paid 40% and they are dumb enough to have left stove and everything else on our property…..I think we have the upside somehow.

I keep thinking they are going to turn up and just do the job, but every time there’s something else they haven’t thought of…..

I see now why the lowest quote isn’t always the best – they were a grand less than anyone else (they really did tuen up with no tools the first time and asked to borrow off me)!

bigblackshed

ononeorange

Yours sounds spookily like my install. I have given up trying to talk to the install company and have finished the making good myself.

Similar situation, £200 deposit, supply and “kind of fit” my stove, final bill £2.5K. I’m yet to pay the balance until the owner can be bothered to talk to me.

banks
    Free Member

**** unlucky guys – we used Bill Taylor of bury. 3 installs now. 1600 for stove/half/flue/lining/plastering etc

He will drink all your coffee though

bedmaker

Email just in, buy cheap buy twice!

I’m regularly picking up the pieces after these guys have been in. 😐

I spoke to you at the end of last year regarding a stove fitting in XXXX Bank. I had a bit of a disaster with xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxx xxxxxx and the job has been left unfinished in terms of clearance between the stove to the back wall, and the stove to the wooden hearth. I have spoken to both Hetas and the manufacturers and they have both agreed that it is unsafe.

I was therefore wondering if you would be able to quote to move the stove forward, which will probably require a new angled stove pipe, and a suggestion of what you could do with the mantle/surround. Currently my thoughts are either a granite frame in place of the wooden mantle, or taping the edges with a thin black frame and adding a floating shelf.

I realise it is getting tight to Christmas but would you free to assess/quote for the repair needed, and if so when could you do it?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

sharkbait
    Free Member

and the stove to the wooden hearth.

😯 Chocolate ashtray?
    Nothing wrong with a wooden mantle if it’s more than 30cm away according to the regs.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

DIY its not hard

We lined our chimney as the draw is better, we burn smokeless fuel and wood (seperately as burning both will bugger the liner) so fitted a 906 liner. I just got some prices of the net and went to the local supplier and asked if they would price match ( they did quote £120ish a meter but dropped to £25) and got the other bits I needed, paid in cash.

got a friend who is a climber to go on the roof and drop the liner down which took about an hour all in.

The local councill want about £150 to do building regs and I guess will be strict on the rules whilst the HETAS guys can use discression so I rang up a local HETAS guy (got his number from HETAS website)and after a chat said he would fit the stove, register plate(and supply 3mm mild steel)and tile the hearth and give a ticket which is important for insurance .

All in including the stove was under £1000

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner fitting – How much!!!’ is closed to new replies.