Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Woodburner assistance please
  • gooner69

Hi, moved into new house recently and need advice re this:

We have a sort of narrow/shallow chimney breast which has a good condition clay liner running through.
    I intend to use this instead of a flue liner (it would probably struggle to fit anyway)but cannot find a product to connect the 125mm stove pipe into the rectangular clay liner correctly.

Is it possible to simply go through the baffle plate and not connect directly to the liner without any issues?

Pics included to help with clarity of problem.

I intend to build out with another course of blocks, then rear exit from stove up into plate.

Hopefully that makes sense enough that the STW hive can advise:)

fingers crossed.

digga
    Free Member

I was under the (perhaps incorrect) assumption that if you install a stove, it needs a HETAS certificate if you ever sell the house and (possibly) also for insurance.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the issue. Looking at that, I’d still guess the safer and better option would be to push a liner up the flue and connect that.

USEFUL LINK: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/self-fit-log-burner-insurance-valid

gooner69

Hi, Hetas or building control sign off is needed.
    I have previously installed 2 in my old house including a fairly complicated through a ceiling and roof scenario so im ok with all of that.

The clay flue liner is rectangular all the way through so I wouldn’t (or extremely difficult) be able to use a flexi liner within that anyway.

My thoughts are to install a fully sealed baffle plate with the stove pipe entering as close as possible to the entrance of the clay liner.

Im after confirmation that as long as its air tight the liner will draw sufficiently to not require a direct connection to the stove pipe.

I can position the stove pipe more or less directly below the clay liner and the surrounding area can be filled to allow less space for gasses to collect etc…..

I will get building control sign off again as in my old house.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can get square sump adaptors. Bit like a mini baffle plate with a 5″ or 6″ spigot hanging out the bottom.

gooner69

Stoner, any idea where from?
    my google search only came up with American products.

sharkbait
    Free Member

you can get square sump adaptors.

You can but I’ve heard from more than one source that they’re not very good and generally lead to black sooty condensation running down into the stove which is a bad thing.
    OP, we may have a large clay liner (but it was fitted to a standard open fireback) and my installer got a liner down OK – it was a little tight but fine.

gooner69

The existing clay liner is 200mm x 70mm.
    Im not convinced squashing a liner down to this size will be a good idea, surely it will just lead to a much shorter lifespan if it works at all?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

there’s also a coned one which might help with a 125mm dia pipe going up against a 70mm wide flue, in so much as what you lose width wise, you’ll gain from the 200mm length wise, maybe?. No idea how you’d fix into place, stove cement and four expansion bolts maybe.
    *I’m not a stove fitter*

spooky_b329

Might be best to check with the stove manufacturers how they calculate minimum flue size…i.e. 125mm flue has an area of 122cm, 200x70mm is larger at 140cm but does the shape make it less efficient?

gooner69

Hi Spooky, that was my worry.
    Don’t wanna go below the minimum required capacity and kinda concerned about damaging the liner etc.

Have found this: http://stovpipe.info/?s=oval+liner+adapter

and im hopeful they will be able to find something suitable.

Thanks guys:)

twinw4ll
    Free Member

This flue needs pressure testing first, i certainly wouldn’t fit a stove to that clay liner, a death trap in the making if ever i saw one.

spooky_b329

Pressure testing? Is that different to a smoke test…that’s all my HETAS fitter did I believe. My chimney is larger/round though.

Bear
    Free Member

I would want confirmation that the flue is suitable for solid fuel before I bothered with anything else. Not all flues are suitable.
    Looks like a flue block system to me, it might not be continual and it may change to something like IL gas vent in the roof if it was for a gas fire.

It looks like a newish house so there may be a chimney data plate possibly near the fuse board?

smartay

Bear
    you mention a data sheet for the chimney, when did this come into play.
    2 out of the 4 houses we have lived in have had a stove fitted, present house built 94ish but see no data plate.
    Gas fire fitted with internal flue at present, running off propane

globalti
    Free Member

Why don’t you ask your chimney sweep? He will sort it out and make provision for sweeping.

globalti
    Free Member

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner assistance please’ is closed to new replies.