Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • wood pigeons on the bird table
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

we have a bird table with a couple of feeders hanging off it; we put seed on the table and in the feeders.
    all the “pretty little birds” enjoy both the table and the feeders. Blue tits, great tits, robins, coal tits, the odd long-tailed tit and there are also a couple of dunnocks that hoover up around the bottom of the table. Occasional blackbird, magpies, jackdaws too

unfortunately a couple of wood pigeons have also discovered the free restaurant for birds., and they’re greedy buggers. They’re like Mr Creosote, they just sit & eat & eat until a magpie decides it’s time to move them on. Or I do.

what can I do to stop the greedy b*stards without stopping the other birds? Stuffed peregrine falcon on the roof? wouldn’t that scare off all the other birds?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Air rifle 😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Feed them up with tasty huts, shoot, eat. Yum.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Only real way is the hanging feeders IME.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I thought that might be the answer. it’ll be a shame for the robins & blackbirds 🙁
    or we put up with Mr Creosote & shoo him off when we see him

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Pad fried Pidgeon breast is a regular meal, courtesy of them munching the tops of my brassicas . . . and sitting still long enough to get in the cross-hairs!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmm….

Need to get a bird table, and give the black widow another target, insted of just the foxes.

Pan fried pigeon hmmm….

chambord
    Free Member

🙁 poor fox.

Put a hanging basket upside down on the table? Will stop greedy magpies and jackdaws as well and the little birds should be able to get through the bars.

ElShalimo

It’s the squirrels that annoy me, they scare off all the birds

wwaswas

robins and blackbirds manage fine with our hanging feeder.

MoreCashThanDash

We got a bird table with a very low “roof” on it. The small birds can get in under to get food, the stupid fat pigeons eventually got fed up with only being able to sit on tbe roof and watch them.

ivorlott
    Free Member

Caged ground feeder might also work.

Birds like Robins, Dunnocks, Wrens tend to prefer ground feeding anyway, holes will probably be too small for Thrushes, Blackbirds, but will definitely keep out anything bigger.

john_drummer
    Free Member

that looks to be a good solution for the ground feeders.
    I wonder if I could make some vertical “bars” out of old garden cane. Would keep the pigeons & magpies off, but not the smaller birds

tomd
    Free Member
    john_drummer
    Free Member

we had a fox come to visit during the late summer / autumn. He seemed to be very much at home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘wood pigeons on the bird table’ is closed to new replies.