Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Woodburner folk…simple buying question
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Richc, don’t suppose you could email over your supplier, could you?

We have been gypped twice by supposed ‘ready-to burn’ suppliers who in reality are selling 50% moisture wood, meaning we’ve had to then go and buy even more dried wood in the middle of winter at a premium.

Ta

richc
    Free Member

The supplier is a farmer/forester who lives here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cleeve,+Bristol/@51.3853665,-2.7868562,3a,60y,167.13h,78.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD2G2NIRaTAF_LV0FUco6Cg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4871f40489f4df6f:0x1934d656cb17bb22!8m2!3d51.3888502!4d-2.7793116!6m1!1e1

If you are driving out of Bristol towards the Airport on the A370 keep going to you hit Cleeve, past the Lord Nelson and then looks for Logs for Sale after around ~800M and follow the lane (he’s open Thursday, Friday and Saturday)

He doesn’t really do the internet as he’s in his 70’s, but he owns a **** of woods and sells a lot of logs either by the bag or landrover load if you live in the area.

neilnevill
    Free Member

As you can see here there is a lot of variation in cost even for a good product

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/101522-what-you-charging-your-logs-season.html

Look around on arbtalk and you’ll see arb waste cost/value varies from having to pay to tip it, through to selling on at approaching cord wood prices (cord wood is logs, harvested in order to be processed as fuel) which also varies but it’s around £50/ tonne. A tonne of straight cord hard wood I think creates about 1.8m³ ish of logs. So there isn’t much profit for firewood sellers that buy in cord, but there is a lot of work.

maccruiskeen

Does anyone have their woodstore in the house, pros and cons anyone?……..

How much do you want to store? Amongst the cons is even ‘seasoned’ wood thats more than dry enough to burn well is still pretty damp relative to the inside of house, so anything more than a decorative quantity of logs in your house is going so smell a lot like a large quatity of damp wood.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

How much do you want to store?

Probably a builders bag worth. Would buying Kiln dried logs sort the creepy crawlies and damp wood issues? Everyone I put the idea to, pulls a face, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be made a nice feature near the fire.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Slight hijack but stove related can anyone recommend a decent stove fan at a reasonable price?
    Cheers

alibongo001

Theres one at Aldi at the moment about £25

thecaptain
    Free Member

I got one of the cheapest fans off amazon and it works fine. They vary a bit regarding the min temp they (claim to) need to work off, but otherwise hard to see how they differ materially. Probably more important if your stove’s in a recess, which mine is not, but never mind. I find it useful as a temperature gauge, easier to read across a room than a thermometer would be!

I wouldn’t balk at storing kiln dried logs indoors, but my house is full of woodlice and spiders anyway…I usually bring in a week or so’s worth of wood to warm up round the fire and it doesn’t cause any problems.

Stoner
    Free Member

in the house isnt really a problem as long as it’s “pre dried” outside and isnt gopping wet and covered in fungi.

I bring a big load in next the stove at the same time I bring a quarter ton into the boiler room. Saves sending the boys out with the wood basket every night.

I have three baskets next to the other stove.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Cheers alibongo, I nipped out and got one from Aldi (sold out in the first two stores!)
    Looks OK for the money, I’ll be giving it a try tomorrow when the stove gets installed!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That’s the kind of thing I had in mind Stoner

timber

As a guide to firewood quality, look for someone BSL registered. It’s another hoop to jump through for getting RHI payments, but is basically a standard for wood fuels of a maximum moisture content, sustainably sourced.
    We haven’t gone through it as it is a small part of what we do, but know some that have who buy timber from us as we are an FSC accredited holding (well, will be again once it’s renewed).

Jakester
    Free Member

richc – Member

The supplier is a farmer/forester who lives here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cleeve,+Bristol/@51.3853665,-2.7868562,3a,60y,167.13h,78.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD2G2NIRaTAF_LV0FUco6Cg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4871f40489f4df6f:0x1934d656cb17bb22!8m2!3d51.3888502!4d-2.7793116!6m1!1e1

If you are driving out of Bristol towards the Airport on the A370 keep going to you hit Cleeve, past the Lord Nelson and then looks for Logs for Sale after around ~800M and follow the lane (he’s open Thursday, Friday and Saturday)

He doesn’t really do the internet as he’s in his 70’s, but he owns a **** of woods and sells a lot of logs either by the bag or landrover load if you live in the area.

Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner folk…simple buying question’ is closed to new replies.