Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wood burning stoves.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Considering one for our living room. Lived in the property for a good number of years and we have a chimney which is suitable but currently has an electric unit utilising the space. Main purpose would be as a feature but the additional heat provided would be welcome. A steady supply of quality dry wood is no issue. What makes/ models should I be considering? Looking around the 5kw output range. No back boiler etc required.

globalti
    Free Member

There are so many. We have a Dovre 250, which is a multi-fuel so it’s as happy with wood as it is with smokeless or peat. Whatever it burns, it gets damned hot in our average-sized lounge. Best advice we were given was to err on the side of a smaller stove meaning we would be burning it hotter and therefore cleaner – nothing looks worse than a big wood burner shut right down wth the glass all smoked up.

Currently stove installers are getting rich by persuading home owners that they need the chimney lined. This is not always the case and you need to make friends with a good chimney sweep who will give an honest assessment of the condition of the flue. The problem is that good chimney sweeps are booked up months in advance. If you’re lucky enough to live in the NW, Ian at Acorn Chimneys in Burnely is excellent and will do the whole job for you from A to Z for an honest price.

jam-bo

We got a yeoman CL3 as it was the smallest stove we could get. 3.7 kW and pretty tidy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Nestor Martin here – superb stoves. I have a Stanford 13 which fair belts out the heat and is probably the most controllable and simple to use stove I have yet encountered.

http://www.euroheat.co.uk/Nestor-Martin/Wood-Burning-Stoves/1879/Stanford-13

Got a wee Aarrow Acorn downstairs which isn’t bad either.

Shame that I won’t be taking them when we move, but I think there is a Jotul installed in one room already which isn’t too shabby, and something else in the other room but I didn’t spot what it was.

footflaps

There are loads of makes, it’s worse than what bike or what tyre choices…

granny_ring

Do a search on here, loads have been recommended in the past.
    Been really happy with our Charnwood Country 4, 4.8kw I think.
    Large viewing window, good adjustablity on the air flow, no fire bricks to replace as it’s steel lined.
    Got mine cheap off Ebay, shop stock clearance but would happily pay retail price for another one.

djflexure

We got a Charnwood C4 which has been flawless for 2 years.

Nice big window to see the fire and relatively contemporary looks.

You will be surprised how much heat they put out – cant have heating on at the same time.

br
    Free Member

Stovax here, very good too.

bubs

Are you thinking inset or free-standing?

redstripe
    Free Member

Got a burley one:
    http://burley.co.uk/category/wood-burning-stoves/
    A mate who fits loads recommended it and it’s very good

TheFlyingOx

You will be surprised how much heat they put out – cant have heating on at the same time.

Very much this. We’ve got an 8kw stove for heating living room, kitchen, stairway & landing (approx 100m3 total volume, open plan) and it’s stupidly hot if you load it up. The key is that the stove rating is a maximum, and the heat output is limited by the amount of fuel you put in. Once I realised this, it’s been a lot more manageable.

Ours is a Firefox 8, by the way. Sniffed at by stove purists due to lack of heritage and being a cheap Chinese import, but it’s been superb so far.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’ve got two. Morso 04 which is nice and well built but can be a pain to light and doesn’t seem to chuck out a lot of heat.

Other one is a Westfire Series 1. Fantastic thing. We’re just about to move house and going to get another.

kcal

Hunter Hawk – 3 or 4 kW – a couple in study (gets v v hot!) and in living room where its just great.
    Easy to light, both, can look either trad. (rope look) or slightly less trad.)

Morso Badger in main sitting room. Abs breeze to light, when loaded up it chucks out great amount of heat. think its more like a 5 or even 5.5 / 6 kW, it’s a lovely stove (though riddle control is odd).

edit / add – we have an old house with relatively draughty windows and high ceilings so heat output goes up quite a lot..

fluided
    Free Member

We have a AGA ludlow which has been great it takes no time to get going, and really heats the room no problem

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wood burning stoves.’ is closed to new replies.