• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wood burning stove installation
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve just bought my first house, it’s a 2 storey terrace, plus loft conversion. The chimney breast and stack were removed prior to the loft conversion but I’d like a log burner on the ground floor, meaning running a flue either outside the house or, ideally, inside, passing through the bedroom above the stove and the loft in order to spread some heat up there as well.

What is the cost of installation likely to be, and how much should I be spending on a decent stove? Looking online there are stoves on eBay for £100, but the cheapest in my local shop is over £1000. Is somewhere in the middle about right?

johndoh
    Free Member

I just paid £2250 for a fully fitted job including flue, hearth, making good etc. The stove was £800 (Parkway Aspect 4 – a great little stove too).

or, ideally, inside, passing through the bedroom above the stove and the loft in order to spread some heat up there as wel

What, inside as inside the chimney or just an exposed tube running up the inside of the house? If you mean the latter then I doubt that would pass regs.

Stoner
    Free Member

Rool of thumb: £100 per linear metre, + £100 per bend/penetration/termination.

So, 6m + 2x ceilings, a roofline and a storm collar & cap. = £1000 for parts, + £300 labour = £1,300.

Stoner
    Free Member

you can run a flue internally. I have it on both mine. Works v well as a radiator.

You should install a mesh guard around any flue that is capable of having something placed against it at floor height (i.e. in the room above) to be strictly legal.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers, yes was thinking of making some sort of fancy wooden mesh to cover it.

Going to get some quotes but just wanted an idea really.

Regarding stoves will I not get anything decent below 500? 800 is more than I’d usually spend on a car 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

Stoner I think that £300 to fit a twinwall flue up through two ceilings and out through the roof is rather optimistic… lets say £500.

OP don’t forget to factor in a hearth, ‘something heat resistant’ to go at the back of the stove, joinery involved with boxing in the flue in the bedroom and the loft conversion and the amount of space that will take up in the upstairs rooms. You may not get a lot of heat out of the flue in the loft room – twin wall is insulated to keep the heat in!

On the whole the more you spend on a [new] stove the better it will perform in terms of ease of use, visual appeal and keeping the glass clean. I wouldn’t go below £600 or above about £1300.

Good quality stoves on eBay are generally worth the risk. Easily cleaned up, repainted and resealed – just be wary of cast stoves that have a cracked panel, in which case just walk away.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I reckon shark bait is about right on stove prices. Something worth getting, that will last, start about. £600/£650.

If you go the route of refurbishing an old stove, do some research and check you can get spare parts easily. Usual bits that suffer but are easily replaced are glass, door seals, fire bricks, baffle, grate, door catch. I just replaced all that, and an internal heat shield, and repainted a Franco Belge Belfort for ~£200 including purchasing it on eBay. New they are £650.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Re the stove, as above maybe £500/£600 upwards for a decent quality branded stove, but some on ebay shouldn’t be dismissed if you’re reasonably savvy. I bought an ex display on ebay for £695 the list price was £1250 and I couldn’t find it for less than £1099 online (with a few bit and pieces included). I had to collect it from a shop in Matlock which maybe cost £30 in fuel, but it was exactly what I had in mind at about 1/2 the retail shop price.

br
    Free Member

Stoner I think that £300 to fit a twinwall flue up through two ceilings and out through the roof is rather optimistic… lets say £500.[/I]

Yep, and add more for scaffolding. Probably nearer double (the £500) plus VAT.

And any walls etc need to be either fireproofed or a distance away.

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/rules-for-wood-burning-stoves/

We’ve also got an internal flue, our living room is 2 storey, so it goes straight up out of the stove and then through the roof.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wood burning stove installation’ is closed to new replies.