Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wood Burning Stove Installation
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

We're looking at getting a wood burning stove installed to replace our open flame gas fire. It's a newish house with no chimney, so we need to get an external stainless flue fitted up the side of our 2 storey house. We've been quoted around £4,000 for installation, plus £2,200 for the stove (Scan 53-8) which has taken me by surprise because the figure being bandied about when we initially enquired was about £1,500 – £2,000.

I know other folks have had similar work done, so I'm wondering if this seems in line with what other folks have paid

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds expensive but obviously it depends on the stove as to how much that would cost.

I assume the stainless flue is expensive simply because it needs to be stainless being external.

And I assume the gas fire is a balanced flue then? Is there a balanced flue log stove available (this might be a stupendously stupid question).

EDIT: No it wasn't a stupid question…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Does sound pricey – ours was £3500, including stove, hearth, liner chimney pot and all fittings. This was lining an existing chimney. The twin wall stainless flue pipes are murderously expensive, but still sounds steep based on your description.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seeing as there are balanced flue options I would consider them personally – saves the cost and uber-ugliness of a dirty great metal pipe up the side of your house.

You neighbours will think you have opened a chip shop or something 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The existing gas flue pipe will still need replacing, but as M_F says it may be an option unless you need a specific stove for a smokeless zone etc.

EDIT: Ah, I see where you were going with the balanced flue idea now M_F – chapeau!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah – it was my understanding that the property has no chimney so I have *assumed* the existing fire is a balanced flue – therefore it makes sense to replace with a similarly-flued stove.

organic355
    Free Member

I did exactly what you are doing, and I think it w around £4k all in, and this included the stove Morso 6140.

Same stainless steel flue on the outside with a "Fake" chimney breast constructed inside, with a nice caithness slate hearth.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Morso are, like, so cool.

And yes, we have one 🙂

geoffj

Morso are, like, so cool.

We had a squirrel in a holiday cottage over easter. Granted, it may have been installed by a monkey, but it was poor compared to our own mid-range Franco Belge Savoy or Hunter Hawk we had before.

It did look quite nice in a contemporary kind of way though.

-m-
    Free Member

The squirrel installed by a monkey was poor in comparison to your hawk?

geoffj

Yup – I was gobsmacked after all the fawning about them on here.

69er
    Free Member

I didn't think you could burn wood and use a balanced flue? Aren't the temperatures too high?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL

I didn't think you could burn wood and use a balanced flue? Aren't the temperatures too high?

As I said, I wasn't sure if it was possible and on another look, the link I put up was for a wood effect gas stove. Maybe they are available, maybe not…

donald
    Free Member

We're looking at getting a wood burning stove installed to replace our open flame gas fire

I'm wondering why? Heating with mains gas is cheaper than heating with wood, unless you have free wood. But you'll need to burn a lot of free wood to offset the £6k installation costs.

Drac

I'm wondering why? Heating with mains gas is cheaper than heating with wood, unless you have free wood. But you'll need to burn a lot of free wood to offset the £6k installation costs.

Well since September I've had a £400 rebate for gas.

Anyway £2.2k is way too much for the stove I'd say got our Moros Badger from here http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Morso-Stoves.html it's bloody excellent.

69er
    Free Member

You want to live in the New Forest, the wood grows on trees round here 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wood Burning Stove Installation’ is closed to new replies.