Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Wood burners…yes, I know…
  • globalti
    Free Member

….and don’t forget, it won’t be long before you can get one of these to cut the logs up:

…and to split them, it won’t be long before you’ll need a splitting maul:

samuri
    Free Member

You really need to have a good bed of glowing embers before you shut the vents. But once you have you just chuck a log in every now and again and it’ll keep going all night.

Ours is a 4.5kw Stovax which with the living doors shut can generate unbearable amounts of heat. With the doors open it heats the dining room and kitchen nicely, we even open the door to the hall and you can feel the heat in there and at the top of the stairs.

Absolutely loving ours. We know a tree surgeon who regularly drops off a load of wood. He says he has way more wood than he can give to people with stoves so I guess we’re guaranteed a permanent free supply. I’ve just spent a weekend chopping and sawing wood and loved that too. Something very satisfying about turning a big pile of branches and logs into a well stocked wood store.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I pay £100 a a guy delivers my split and seasoned logs which I then spend 30mins stacking

Either you work for amazon and can stack like ****, or your wood is expensive. The first thing to consider even before you look at chimneys etc, is – do you have a supply of wood?. If not, it ain’t gonna be cheap. There’s a lot of labour in splitting wood, which I, like samurai, enjoy a lot.

I have 3 wood sheds, all big enough to last a winter, so there is a constant supply of two year old wood. It takes a bit of work, but I don’t mind this, I’d rather that than give more money to the utilities companies.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Greg – only empties ash once a month so ill go for expensive wood

SD-253
    Free Member

slowoldgit – Member
    SD – you know greenheart is toxic, don’t breathe any dust or get splinters.

The toxic bit is overdone unless you work in a sawmill where there is no lack of dust. When using a chainsaw what comes of is chippings not dust. Although there is no downside in wearing a mask so might as well. As for splinters that’s a given thick gloves at all times. Not noticed any increase in my asthma which I am near certain is dust problem. IE gets worse when burner going.

geoffj

You really need to have a good bed of glowing embers before you shut the vents. But once you have you just chuck a log in every now and again and it’ll keep going all night.

I don’t understand the obsession with keeping stoves in overnight, but it really is a bad idea IMHO.
    Unless your wood is super dry – unlikely in the UK, then the lower temperatures mean that you get more condensation inside the flu, which can lead to the liner dying quicker and the risk of chimney fires increasing. Not worth the hassle to me.

YMMV

SD-253
    Free Member

Rarely turn stove down rather get naked although this is not available when daughters staying. Rather put wood on with bark down or better still bark all round slows the burn down. That’s why I prefer coppiced wood.
    http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Flexit-100X-Heat-Transfer-System/36-4560

Heat mover

SD-253
    Free Member

Ref rarely turn heat down doing so now cooking!

SD-253
    Free Member

.I don’t understand the obsession with keeping stoves in overnight, but it really is a bad idea IMHO.
    Unless your wood is super dry – unlikely in the UK, then the lower temperatures mean that you get more condensation inside the flu, which can lead to the liner dying quicker and the risk of chimney fires increasing. Not worth the hassle to me.

. I like it warm in the morning also have an option of free wood or LPG. Use LPG if short of wood (hate paying) also have my doubts that bought wood is actually cheaper than the very expensive LPG, at least where I live. Nice to have 2 kettles of water hot in morning. Like most people I fill when maybe it would be better to put less wood on. Everything I read says closing down the burner is in efficient.

SD-253
    Free Member

Geoff I only clicked on Norfolk fire and I think you will find they are referring to open fires not burners.

geoffj

About halfway down the Norfolk link

Preventing chimney fires

The most common causes of chimney fires are:

Infrequent sweeping and cleaning
    Burning unseasoned wet wood
    Improper appliance sizing
    Overnight burning or smouldering wood for long periods in wood stoves

SD-253
    Free Member

The guild of sweeps

Overnight burning / slumbering fire – please don’t do this, it can be dangerous and costly and is highly polluting.

Why? they do not say. More importantly this is clear statement that you should not close your fire down ever. As you cannot close down an open fire they must be talking about burners? Saying you should never close down wood burners ever is ludicrous as there wouldn’t be air controls/baffles on them in first place?

geoffj

Saying should never close down wood burner ever is ludicrous as there wouldn’t be air controls baffles?

Mine are a bit more sophisticated than open or closed. I’d tend to listen to what the Fire Service has to say though.

SD-253
    Free Member

Closing down the fire does course a greater build up of tar/soot so increases the likely of fire easily dealt with by extra cleaning. My fire is closed down at moment they are saying I and every other person with a wood burner should not do this? is in my view bollocks!!

SD-253
    Free Member

.Mine are a bit more sophisticated than open or closed.

In what way?

maxray
    Free Member

We have a Charnwood which is dead simple to use, has a rotating grate for wood or multifuel use, a 4 stage choke on the front and can clean the chimney through the stove. Cost an arm and a leg though.

Nothing better than a roaring fire on a cold evening!

🙂

Nobby

Sorry for the slight hijack but does anyone know of a good supplier/installer in the North Kent (Dartford/Bexley) area?

Had a couple of fitters in who gave very different advice – not sure who, if either, to believe.

geoffj

In what way?

Well for a start there are both top and bottom vents which gives you 4 variations.
    The bottom vent on my latest one has knob with a scale from 0-10 which you adjust depending on how much air you want to allow.

BUT all this is irrelevant, do what works for you. 🙂

SD-253
    Free Member

.Well for a start there are both top and bottom vents which gives you 4 variations.
    The bottom vent on my latest one has knob with a scale from 0-10 which you adjust depending on how much air you want to allow.

BUT all this is irrelevant, do what works for you. . So has mine. Sorry mate but if it was dangerous to do so I would have thought the manufactures would say so. Let’s agree to disagree 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just bought a house and inherited a Sunrain JA006 chinese thing, anyone got similar?

is this the correct position for the baffle?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Looks like to should be higher (i.e. near the top of the door) – that’s were they are on my stoves.

geoffj

Looks like to should be higher (i.e. near the top of the door) – that’s were they are on my stoves.

+1

Looks a bit odd though. Is there another baffle over the flue exit? Top or rear exiting flue?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

top exit, nothing over the flue exit, ill have a look again inside for any brackets, but the description states its to sit on top of the firebrick, i agree, looks like it needs to be higher

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wrong firebrick?

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Wood burners…yes, I know…’ is closed to new replies.