Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wood burner v Pellet stove
  • wicki
    Free Member

Wood burner v Pellet stove

Any real world experience out there we want a real fire but but not sure I want the hassle of a wood burner again.

sweepy
    Free Member

I have to say I have only ever seen a pellet stove once, but it was in no way a ‘real fire’ Well apart from the flame, but that was hidden away in a grey box in the garden.

edhornby

Funnily enough I was just about to post the same as sweepy, the only pellet stove I have seen was purely functional for heating and hot water in a semi permanent portacabin . No visible flame.

sweepy
    Free Member

Plus at Xmas nobody wants to sit roasting chestnuts over the Yule pellet

alexxx
    Free Member

You want a real fire but don’t want the hassle of a real fire? Then you just don’t want a real fire!

Bear
    Free Member

Google FireWin

Expensive though, and it is really a boiler rather than space heater.

richmars

but not sure I want the hassle of a wood burner again.

What’s that then?
    Getting wood? Adding wood? Cleaning it?

properbikeco
    Free Member

get a gas “woodburner look” stove

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d not bother with pellets for space heating unless I already had a cheap supply.

But as for the pellet/stove thibg:

http://www.biomassfuelsupplies.co.uk/wood-pellet-basket.html

wicki
    Free Member

mainly cutting the wood with a chainsaw, makes a big mess and running a saw aint cheap new chains oil and petrol sharpening the chain, here wood is sold in meter lengths by the sqm. also dust and fume can be bad for the health I know I have lived in many houses with a wood burner

many shops here sell pellet stoves they have windows so you can see the flame, timers to turn on and off but I have never seen one working or talked to an owner about the day to day use or weather you get the fire side ambience of a wood burner.

Smudger666

Some of the palazetti stuff is nice, but expensive…….

Pellet stoves

TooTall
    Free Member

Pellet stoves are very efficient and produce very little ash for the quantity burned.
    As to how convenient it is – that depends on how you can buy and store the pellets. If you load the stove direct then you still have a hassle of ensuring there is enough on hand and you moving it. Probably in bags.
    If you have the space and location, a hopper is possible with a screw feed. That takes the hassle out of it, gets you better prices on (bulk ordered) pellets and is really the best way to set up a pellet burning operation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wood burner v Pellet stove’ is closed to new replies.