• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wood burner- Building regs issues…
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Short version -New House last year, wood burner in the living room.
    Complies with building regs as installed in 2010 as part of the house renovation.[not done by us]
    Solicitors and survey happy.
    Yesterday – get a local Chimney sweep in to clean for winter [HETAS registered]He says flue is unsafe and incorrectly insatlled.
    Today- 2nd opinion from local HETAS fitters confirm installation is unsafe and burner should not be used.
    We contacted the solicitors we bought the property through who confirm the Burner installation passed building regs.[necessary paperwork obtained and copies taken]
    So, where do we go from here..should I get the bombers out!!???

gobuchul
    Free Member

What is it that makes it unsafe?

A flue for a woodburner is a very simple thing.

I assume you have been using it for a year without any issues? Do you have a CO alarm?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Been used for 8 years by previous owners, the issue is in the loft space. It goes from a twin wall to a single flexi connector, then to the chimney. The flexi connector is bent at 45 degrees, and has gone a blue colour from the heat.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Not quite sure what the question is. If you want to use then fix the flue. There’s not much to them.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Quoted nearly 2k to fix the flue…if the Burner and Install passed Building regs, why now is it unsafe?
    Should we be liable for the costs? If the install was so unsafe should this have been passed by Building regs?

newrobdob
    Free Member

I assume the £2k quote includes gold plating and diamond encrusting the parts needed?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Quoted nearly 2k to fix the flue…

Normal HETAS piss take.

Can you change the flexi connector for a 45deg twin wall section?

Isn’t there a STW member with twin wall in his forum name? Post a pic and I’m sure he could help.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ah, HETAS are expensive…ok I can’t get pics up but from the burner it is twin wall to the loft. Once in the loft imagine a slinky [for those over 40yrs] bent over to the right then up to the chimney.
    So I guess they can just replace that section and not the whole flue.

gobuchul
    Free Member

tjagain

if the Burner and Install passed Building regs, why now is it unsafe?

It6 was always unsafe and should not have been signed off is my guess. Probably not inspected properly ie the inspector if he even visited did not go in the attic and the plans submitted were not adhered to by the installer

Dickyboy

Flex liner should only ever be installed within a chimney not as a flue in its own right so I can’t see how that was ever legit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quoted nearly 2k to fix the flue.

That’s rediculous…. I’ve was quoted £1200 last week for a complete new liner including fitting.
    Plenty of advice above but remember than flexible liner does not last forever… my fitter has seen a few new ones that had been destroyed in 3 years from burning smokeless (IIRC).

gobuchul
    Free Member

That’s rediculous…. I’ve was quoted £1200 last week for a complete new liner including fitting.

So is that! £300 for the liner, £900 for fitting.

1/2 day work for 2 people.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Soo let me get this straight:

From burner to loft in twinwall
    From there in single wall flex liner to an old chimney and out?

The exposed flex liner in the loft space is the problem – this should not be exposed, onlywithin a chimney.

So if I read the regs correctly either:
    a) find the brand of twin wall and use the same twin wall to make the connection to the chimney, then flex inside chimney and out the top. Or just take the twin wall straight up through the roof, and dismantle your chimney (no more leaks). This twin wall in the loft space technically needs a guard around it.

or possibly:

b) make a “chimney” to enclose the existing flue liner. Class A fire boards (hardiebacker) and fire sealant. I think the regulations will be vague on this one.

mrbiker473
    Free Member

So if I read the regs correctly either:
    a) find the brand of twin wall and use the same twin wall to make the connection to the chimney, then flex inside chimney and out the top. Or just take the twin wall straight up through the roof, and dismantle your chimney (no more leaks). This twin wall in the loft space technically needs a guard around it.

or possibly:

b) make a “chimney” to enclose the existing flue liner. Class A fire boards (hardiebacker) and fire sealant. I think the regulations will be vague on this one.

The easiest and safest way is to take the twin wall straight through the roof, as probably should have been done in the first place. That’s assuming the chimney it’s connecting doesn’t actually have an appliance that’s useable anyway…

And B) single wall Flexi liner is only supposed to be used to reline an existing masonry chimney. So no.

Bear
    Free Member

I’d be contacting the name on the paperwork asking them to explain how it was signed off and telling them to rectify at their cost. With the threat of reporting them to HETAS, I’d also consider contacting them anyway as they might run the self certification scheme so might have issues with other installations.

sharkbait
    Free Member

So is that! £300 for the liner, £900 for fitting.

Never said I was going for it! It also included the hire of a cherry picker due to the height of the chimney.

footflaps

I’d be contacting the name on the paperwork asking them to explain how it was signed off and telling them to rectify at their cost.

For a contract with someone else over 8 years ago?

Bear
    Free Member

Nothing to do with timescale. It was never done correctly and someone had committed an offence. Believe it may be a criminal one now too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wood burner- Building regs issues…’ is closed to new replies.