Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wood burner and heating water pipes near – problem ?
  • peterich
    Free Member

hi all im looking to install a woodburner in a new house we just bought and was wondering a couple of things that I cant find an answer to.
    So here goes my plumber and I have taken out the old baxi gas fire and back boiler and replaced it with a new combi boiler leaving a lovely fireplace just right for a multifuel burner. the plumber has cut off the main heating pipes that went to the back boiler as close as poss to where they enter the concrete wall of the chiney breast as close as poss but there is still 2 pipes around 7 inches of 28mm copper pipe exposed with end stops on.
    these pipes are still in the circuit for the central heating and if I were to fit a burner they would be a couple of inches from it, do you think the heat from the burner will be a problem for the water in the heating pipes ( will it boil and create gas in my heating circuit)
    If the heat is a problem will a sheet of fire board between the pipes and burner remedy it.
    also if I fit it myself like I plan to will this affect my house insurance or do I need building regs or a hetas certificate
    Finally ive found this burner and it loos great for the money any reviews ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390700163129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    Thanks very much in advance for hive mind knowledge

trail_rat
    Free Member

that ebay add is horrendous. primary school kid wrote it i think.

the very fact they are suggesting that this stove is great for overnight burns and dont forget the “well engineered handle” or the “german steel that will never crack” all means im out , i cant imagine dealing with that lot if there are any issues at all .

also youll be needing hetas registered installer to certify or building control in to sign your DIY work off IF you are in england or wales.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

these pipes are still in the circuit for the central heating

So cut & cap these at the point they join the rest of the circuit.

looks identical to this
    http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/cubic-5-convector-stove/

which is being sold for £400.

If I was feeling a bit brassic in the wallet, I’d be tempted to give the ebay special a go.

also if I fit it myself like I plan to will this affect my house insurance or do I need building regs or a hetas certificate

rumour has it house insurance won’t cover any fires caused by a non-certified install.

hetas certificates come from registered (pro) installers

building control, you can get them involved to do the same thing, cost depends on council, but expect somewhere between £150 – £250

in my experience BC were quite helpful – YMMV

teasel
    Free Member

chiney breast

🙂

That’s as far as I got. Sounds like an annoying and regular occurrence of being grossly overweight.

Sorry, no help. As you were…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wood burner and heating water pipes near – problem ?’ is closed to new replies.