Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • WOO-and-indeed-HOOOOO! but need some advice….pls. (bike related)
  • alpin
    Free Member

checked my emails last night and found, amongst the junk, an offer of an interview in munich. the job in question is with a well-established german mountainbike guiding company as bike guide.

he/they have asked me to travel down for an interview and i'll look to do this in the coming week or so.

but, what does he want to hear? i've been self-employed since i was 20 and haven't had to go to a 'proper' job interview in the last seven years.

here is a rough translation of what they 'erwarten' or expect:

– dedication & enthusiasm
    – honesty and willingness to help
    – willingness to learn & Creativity
    – be fun, bring joy to others
    – loyalty, team spirit, tolerance and appreciation
    – naturalness and self-esteem
    – language skills: minimum would be English, Italian advantage (tick)
    – good general fitness
    – closeness to nature and fun to move outside

they provide the first part of coaching (Trailscout) towards becoming an Alpine MTB Guide – something i'm already planning on doing.

if i got the job it'd be from June till end of September this year with a possibilty of continuing next year for a full season.

quite excited! if i hadn't knackered myself snowboarding last night i don't know if i'd have been able to sleep….

please help me secure a meaningful employment….. teaching kids is doing my head in….

cheers

J

tinsy
    Free Member

God knows how to act… just be yourself. Good luck.

qwerty
    Free Member

don't mention the war 😉

alpin
    Free Member

brilliant.

can't recount the number of times i've made that mistake in the past two years i've been here.

thanks.

alpin
    Free Member

oh, and your name wil alzo go on ze lizt.

yossarian
    Free Member

first aid skills?
    capable at trailside repairs?
    ability to conduct dynamic risk assessments whilst out with client groups?

I think you need to come across as capable, confident and friendly

alpin
    Free Member

first aid skills?

– not yet but as the GF has a lot to do with the Red Cross i'll get onto a course. i think the Trailscout course thingy is part 1st aid.

capable at trailside repairs?

– yes and no. it depends. i'll have a read up in case he asks. thanks for the tip.

ability to conduct dynamic risk assessments whilst out with client groups?

– part of the training they provide. most risk assessment is common sense though, isn't it? but the problem with common sense is that it isn't all too common.

ruddy
    Free Member

Glad they aren't discriminating against those who cannot ride a bike.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If youre fed up teaching kids you may find adults worse. Either way – I wouldnt mention it.

yossarian
    Free Member

– part of the training they provide. most risk assessment is common sense though, isn't it? but the problem with common sense is that it isn't all too common.

spot on. Things to remember are the ongoing assessment of weather and trail conditions, client skills and fitness levels (that will deteriorate over time and terrain), bail out routes and evac points. Have a plan B up your sleeve! Make sure you don't come across as a killjoy though – the emphasis should be on pushing the boundaries in a controlled manner.

alpin
    Free Member

not fed up as such…. just don't enjoy it. adults are fine. you can talk to them and exchange ideas rather than little Laurin saying "my mum said i don't have to do it"

teaching kids (6-10 yr olds) is the most stressful thing i've done. respect to full-time, proper teachers.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

wear a long leather coat and boots, be precise and loud and push the secretary out of the way (preferably send her flying)oh, and look at anything untidy or dusty in the interview room with clear distain….should do it

alpin
    Free Member

have you been watching "'Allo 'allo"?

alpin
    Free Member

bump for the evening crowd.

cheers

J

brakes
    Free Member

can you do a flip-whip?
    you should at least be able to do superman-truck, or a 3-whip
    learn them, or their German variants and it's a shoe-in

nasher
    Free Member

As all the above really.

Anyway if you dont get the job I may also be looking for a guide to start around May until October.

If your-e interested drop me a mail,

A

alpin
    Free Member

bakes, i have no idea what zou are on about…..

english, fench, german or otherwise.

radler
    Free Member

Be yourself. Good luck.

alpin
    Free Member

KEEEER-CHING!!!!

got to give up two weekends, one in april, the other in may, for an 'ausbildung' (training) and ride one of the routes myself before being able to guide it.

that means a tranalp jolly with my mates and then from June till September someone is going to pay me to ride my bike twice a month across the alps.

don't know what i'll do come october…. perhaps find a job in the mountains or, if i really have to, teach english. but i'm not taht bothered about that just yet.

i'm off to get drunk.

cheers guys!

rOcKeTdOg

well done chap!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Nice one 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘WOO-and-indeed-HOOOOO! but need some advice….pls. (bike related)’ is closed to new replies.