Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wonky pistons
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Just checking the pads in the front caliper. At first glance, they’re fine. Still a bit of meat on them, equi distance from the rotor and running drag free. Spotty dog!

Then noticed that the pad material is slightly tapered. This is in line with rotor rotation. Almost like toeing in canti pads.

Anyone else had this?

seavers
    Free Member

Wonky pistons or caliper not aligned properly?

Edit: If you have a slightly bent rotor this could cause the tapered effect?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Caliper is perfectly aligned. They both taper the same way. Both pads are thicker at the top and thinner at the bottom. Rotor isn’t bent, runs drag free and always has done.

I can see the pistons out further at the bottom, only slighly, but it’s there.

TrevorB

Formula brakes?

seavers
    Free Member

Interesting, never had that personally but maybe strip the caliper and lube the pistons with DOT 5 if that is what you use. From what I have read that can help a sticky piston.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s the weird thing, there’s no stickiness on the piston. They move very freely. I’m wondering if it’s just rotational forces.

Not formula by the way but they are big brakes with large pistons and a deep brake track.

seavers
    Free Member

What brakes are they?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope V2. It’s only slight and they’re working perfectly. Also wonder if it’s because I’m using the single skin rotor rather than the vented, so the pistons are further out to accommodate that.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I get it on my saints, thinner at the front

singlespeedstu

I noticed this on the front Hope Moto on our tandem.
    It’s got a normal rotor on the front and a vented on the rear so you may be on to something there.

chives
    Free Member

If they’re thicker at the top & thinner at the bottom is it due to the pads ‘hanging up’ ever so slightly on the pin? It wouldn’t take much resistance(over time) to produce some degree of taper?

Northwind

Well in STW fashion, since it’s Hope I’d say it’s probably a design feature and worth paying extra for. If it was anyone else I’d say send them back 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, my use of top and bottom was relative to me viewing the bike. The difference is between leading edge and trailing edge. The rear isn’t doing it so I wonder if it’s a rotor size/braking force thing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Don’t use DOT 5, use DOT 4 or 5.1, DOT 5 is very different from the other 2.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers, I use finish line stanchion lube actually. Inert and stupidly slippery.

stgeorge

If I’ve got this right – (Its the leading edge thats thinner) – I think its because that is the edge that gets the crap (microscopic) on the disc first and hence more abrasive, so will wear faster.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sound theory. There is greater wear at the edge that gets presented with the most crap. (the back of the caliper where the rotor “enters”)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wonky pistons’ is closed to new replies.