Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wonky Eagle GX cassette
  • Andy_K

Have torqued a new GX eagle cassette onto a new Novatec hub, and when i spin the cassette the whole think has a slight wobble on it, like the freehub is on the slant. Nothing feels loose, but I can’t think of any option other than putting it in the shop to try either another wheel or another cassette.

Harumpff!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cross threaded that lovely fine alu free hub thread?

Andy_K

Don’t think so, it’s more like an out of true wheel with a wave in it.

orangespyderman

when i spin the cassette the whole think has a slight wobble on it

it’s more like an out of true wheel with a wave in it

Define the “whole think [sic 😉 ]” is next, I think.

vincienup
    Free Member

Did you remove the endcap before mounting the cassette?

I had a very similar issue first time I tried installing a GX cassette on a Hope freehub. If this is the problem, the issue is that you can’t engage the cassette tool sufficiently while the endcap is in place, you need to install the cassette then attach the endcap. Another related problem in the case of Hope at least is that the stock endcaps are too long – there are shorter units for XD. Maybe Novatec has a similar problem?

Andy_K

Took it off again, checked threads, put it back on again super careful, seems ok.

Conclusion = douchbag installer!

It’s not even the first one of these I’ve done. 😳
    Anyways, touch wood it didn’t feel goosed going back on and it’s tightened up ok, so I’ll leave it alone now.

vincienup
    Free Member

All’s well that ends well, I guess!

strike
    Free Member

I too have a wonky XX1 Eagle cassette (which I fitted on to my Syncros/DT hub without removing the end-cap) – I’ll remove/refit minus end-cap tonight, but please explain on how removing the end-cap make a difference – the cassette tool only needs to make firm contact with the lock-tube?

Andy_K

On some freehubs i.e. Hope, the axle endcap can foul the drive on the XD cassette, so needs to be removed first before fitting.
    It wasnt the problem I had this time, Think mine was actually not on square. but I noticed it when I did the wifes bike.

Would recommend some lube or WD on the rotating assembly of the cassette, so you don’t mistake the high friction of the drive for something being damaged.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks Andy_K – I’m going to remove/re-fit later and see what happens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wonky Eagle GX cassette’ is closed to new replies.