Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Women's tennis…. A bit meh?
  • theotherjonv

You sir are therefore a purist

and an ex-wicketkeeper 😀

mefty, no bother.

aracer
    Free Member

It sounds like you have been watching recently, which surprises me, as I’ve seen a few ramps played (not all successfully, but that doesn’t really detract from the spectacle – a great piece of keeping to take the one yesterday) and also some quite impressive 6s. I’d certainly happily watch more. They’re not even just copying the men – have you ever seen a man play a “natmeg”?

ransos
    Free Member

Sarah Taylor’s legside stumping stood up to a medium pacer was INFINITELY more pleasing on the eye than watching a gym developed muscleman with a 3+ lb bat flay the ball to all parts.

Agreed. I watched the women play vs Australia a couple of years ago at Cardiff, and two things struck me. First, the pace of the quick bowling being a bit slower makes it easier to see from distance, and second, a boundary is much more likely to be from a good shot rather than a bludgeoned mishit with a railway sleeper.

theotherjonv

Sarah Taylor’s legside stumping stood up to a medium pacer was INFINITELY more pleasing on the eye than watching a gym developed muscleman with a 3+ lb bat flay the ball to all parts.

although…….

India vs Australia

Kaur not out 171 143 mins 115 balls 20 x 4 7 x 6

including 100 -> 150 in 17 balls

was also a decent effort 😯

mefty
    Free Member

Blackwell, 90 off 55 is pretty impressive as well considering the circumstances. Roll on Sunday.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hope your are watching the women’s footie. Absolutely spectacular goal from the Swedes!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve just watched the England France game, I have to say it could rank as one of the worst games of footy I’ve ever watched. And I’ve watched many a Sunderland match…

I can appreciate womens golf, the skill and control kinda of contrasts the power game of the men, but I’ve never seen a footy match like that where its just swinging feet and missing/slicing the ball.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Men’s football has evolved over a hundred years.

tjagain

I am not a big football fan ( but I used to go to a few games)and have pretty much stopped watching the mens game because of all the diving and play acting. I saw a womens game recently and what a difference. No diving, no surrounding the ref, no play acting. a far better spectacle

Mens football is no longer a real sport – its am dram like WWF wrestling

sprootlet
    Free Member

I am a woman and I play a lot of sport, including tennis and squash to name a few. Womens tennis is generally less powerful and quick than mens BUT I certainly play to the best of my ability as do all professional athletes. If you can’t appreciate/recognise that and enjoy their sporting achievements then the problem is YOURS not the athletes.
    Anyone who gets out there and tries sport is worthy of encouragement and respect in my opinion regardless of their sex or ability.
    I have been on the receiving end of some pretty unpleasant sexist attitudes playing tennis and squash-guys twice my size pushing me into squash court walls/smashing a racquet when I beat them and male tennis players who paste the ball at your head but who don’t do it to your male partner to name a few. It just makes me more determined but it is really unpleasant.

Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Women's tennis…. A bit meh?’ is closed to new replies.