Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Women's specific Full suss
  • freeflychick

Hi all

Wondering what you/ your other half’s and friends ride and what you think?

I have a 2013 Trek Lush SL with an after marker reverb and just thinking about a new bike. I love my Trek although always open to see what others ride and why.

Cheers :o)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most women I know ride mens bikes, most women’s specific are the same as the men’s. The things that may make some difference is brake levers, grips and cranks oh and a saddle.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve only ever had one wsd bike. Now all mine are men’s but at my height I don’t need wsd. My fs is a (men’s) Mojo.

Edit: unless you’re tiny in height then you’ll need to look at geometry. Some brands have a longer tt so may not be suitable unless you’re untypical female proportions.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my wife currently has a Specialized Myka, we’re about to buy a Giant/Liv Lust.

what do i think? i think a lot of effort goes into advertising ‘bikes designed for women’ but very little is done to actually make bikes for women.

freeflychick

Trek is one of the only ones that is actual WSD, maybe that’s why I like it so much, I ride Giant advance XC, the Obsess is a shorter top tube different gearing – how rude and a shite colour. I am a bit wee at 1m 61 cm but longish legs.

The Giant Liv/ Lust is Def better geometry if you a bit smaller but to be fair on the advance I just changed the saddle position and got a shorter stem and its awesome. And its black :o)

Full suss ( for me ) needs to fit perfectly, it gets some hammer, I want it to be right not just ok.

There is no real money in womens bikes I guess is why they are so expensive and hard to get hold of the good spec ones.

Tracey

Never had a WSB, Riding a S Works Enduro at the moment, Abigale is on the same. Both in medium.

TooTall
    Free Member

most women’s specific are the same as the men’s

No they are not.

The current Obsess has a great colour scheme.

honeybadgerx

+1 for just getting one that fits, my other half has had ‘mens’ bikes for the last couple.

cinnamon_girl

You’re about an inch shorter than me, try some men’s bikes.

freeflychick

Tracey how tall are you?

freeflychick

Its reach that always seems to be an issue I feel uncomfortable after an hour’s riding on the mens I’ve tried. I could do as I have with the Giant and change stuff about although just asking if anyone has found something other than the Lush that works for them, outa the box? If not I’ll get another Lush sl :o)

cinnamon_girl

I use quite a few spacers. Prefer to buy frame only cos I’m always swapping/upgrading.

cinnamon_girl

Uncut steerer too:

Tracey

5′ 10″ as is Abigale, Katie is quite a bit shorter 5′ 41/2″ and rides a small Enduro.

Running them with 35mm stems

Bruce

Ms Bruce

Took one ride on a friends WSD Trek and hated it. She rides Konas for preference but we normally get a frame and spend a lot of time getting the correct components and setting the bike up to suit her. Reach can normally be adjusted with different saddle positions and a different stem.

This is no different to what I do with my bikes.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I ride a bronson carbon, I find the Santa Cruz bikes fit me well having a fairly short top tube. Ridden a wsd lapierre zesty before they are only 1cm shorter on the top tube. I wouldn’t bother with wsd again unless I was particularly shorter and compact but at 5ft 7/8 it makes no difference to me.

chiefgrooveguru

Edit: unless you’re tiny in height then you’ll need to look at geometry. Some brands have a longer tt so may not be suitable unless you’re untypical female proportions.

Typical female proportions in terms of limb vs torso length are exactly the same as typical male proportions! The “long legs short body” thing is a complete myth.

freeflychick

I’m living the myth then… long legs short body… or maybe just odd ;o)

Tracey

Don’t know where you are based but Stif have a demo day next weekend at Stainburn

http://www.stif.co.uk/demoday15/

evh22
    Free Member

Hey there,

Not meaning to cause trouble but…. (us two are trek lush buddies so I think I can say this).

What’s wrong with your Trek? You seem to enjoy riding it, and from what I recall, for the sort of riding you do it seems perfect. Are you wanting a new bike just because n+1 feeling?

Do you want longer travel? If so, you’ll have to accept extra weight and all that comes with it but do you really need it?

I have limited experience as I have limited choices but feel that the Trek Lush is a great versatile bike. I bought a carbon lush second hand and it is hugely better for me than the Lush S. I think this is partly better suspension but I do feel the frame is stiffer, more fun and a little lighter (I think the weight saving is similar to the weight gained with larger tyres). This bike has seen me through MTBO racing, a hike-a-bike adventure in the Alps and Scotland and only really met it’s match at the Ard Rock Enduro though I think for the latter I just needed to adjust the suspension.

The only downside of the Trek Lush carbon IMHO is that it is too damn good at everything to justify another bike. It’s light enough to race, and for light mincers like me big enough to be comfortable on big adventures.

We should look out for each other again for a Lush meet-up. This year in the Alps I got to ride with another trek lush SL lady. She had an ace time too 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the only wimmin’s specific bike Munqe Chick has ever had is her current Cypher (WS version of Trance X) and it’s the only bike she hasn’t bonded with. She can’t pinpoint why but riding with her I think it’s too short, probably as it was built to the “myth” of women’s dimensions.

most women’s specific are the same as the men’s.

No they are not.

some have pretty minimal changes

http://singletrackworld.com/columns/2015/06/adele-mitchell-the-trouble-with-womens-mountain-bikes/

grahamt1980

Wife has got an xs trek lush as an xc bike and a small Heckler for chucking around.
    Kind of depends on what fits we have found. But got lucky with the heckler as a mate let her try it and then gave us first refusal when he sold it.
    As others have said entirely depends on the fit

sazter

I ride a YT Wicked in small, never felt comfortable on a women’s specific bike but then I am a freak with a long spine and stubs for legs. I know, I know, myths, but everyone is actually different and I am a shortie (5 ft 6) but when seated I am taller than most people, inc a 6ft 3 guy I know, so go figure. It’s a wonder my feet reach the pedals on any bikes! 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I’m living the myth then… long legs short body… or maybe just odd ;o)

I have a long limbs and a shorter body too, and I’m male. My wife is the opposite. The average for men and women is the same, as is the variance of proportion.

I did some searching on this and found a proper academic paper which proved the case – and also that people of African origin have longer limbs vs torse whilst those of European origin are the other way around. But I don’t see anyone selling ‘black specific bikes’, do you? 😉 The typically longer torsos of Europeans and longer thinner noses and greater subcutaneous body fat are all cold weather adaptations.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Think its Ghost who are about the only ones who REALLY do bikes for women – their design team are ALL girls!
    Cube WS are different geometry too apparently but make of that what you will.
    My OH rides a Meta 55 Carbon and loves it – but it was built up by her from a frame to how she wanted it.

cakefacesmallblock

My girlfriend rides a Trek WSD 4500 hardtail. But a ” normal”, 26″ Giant Trance full suss.
    Whilst although she really likes the hardtail and is comfy with it , a saddle which is comfy for her, short stem, 720 bars on the Trance , according to her, make it just as comfy as the Trek.

freeflychick

Esther! I’m just ready for a new Full suss, old one will be sold. I like my 650b giant for the roll and would get a 650b full suss so.

I love everything about it, def my fave bike, took it to Slovenia this year and it was PERFECT except its still shit and slow at long climbs ;o) cough and there are some looooong climbs. Probably the best holiday for riding I’ve been on so far to be honest and looking to go back next year on another 3 centre adventure :o)

I know I’m preaching to the converted here but so far for what I ride its pretty awesome, needs adjusting for really riding hard at BPW but its easy to do.

I just wanted to see what else was out there and what others ride. Its hard to find a bike to fit and harder to actually then get your hands on one. Maybe the answer is stick to what you know, maybe the answer is build it yourself? Did that with my Klein and ended up with e VERY expensive bike! well in my terms.

Lets do it… lushladiesinlesarcs?? Make it so :o)

freeflychick

Argghh decisions!

Thanks everyone much appreciated

off to do some research x

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mrs gasket rides a Cube Sting. Nice setup. From stock it only needs wider tyres and I’ve done a 1×10 conversion too.

zero-cool
    Free Member

The GF is about 5’6″ and has found that she prefers men’s bikes. She originally tried women’s bikes but found they tended to be a bit crap and middle of the road.

Currently running a Small YT Capra CF (in pretty blue), previously had a small Transition Covert, TR450 and a Commencal Meta 55.

There’s a good article on this website about the myth of women specific sizing.

Tom KP

ads678

Juliana are Santa Cruz women’s specific bikes aren’t they? And orange do their diva range. Not sure what the difference is though.

grahamt1980

Also apart from Chloe we have another 3 women in our riding group.
    All of them are on a selection of mens bikes, both ht and full sus.
    Its only chloe at the moment that has a wsd bike. Nut then she is little

swanny853

OH (5’3″) has a pivot Mach 5.7 in small. I think saying she loves it would be an understatement, it’s a nice length for her, good standover. It’s light and pedals well but she’s quite happy crashing it down various uplift places. Only problem is the whes can’t keep up so now she has a second heavy duty set for uplifty stuff.

Regarding that article, i must admit I didn’t really get what she was trying to say. I may need to re-read it but I thought at one point she said something to the effect of ‘women are the same shape as men, why would we need different bikes’ and at another ‘bike companies aren’t doing enough for women’s bikes’ without, I thought, saying what they should do. Or have I really, really missed the point in there somewhere?

swanny853

Looks like this-

Sorry, couldn’t make embed work

link

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Women's specific Full suss’ is closed to new replies.