Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Womens road bike – which one
  • sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Kona Dew Deluxe 2009 hybrid, but my heart is in a road bike, but the question is which one. I have up to £800 to spend. Any advice?

Or do I buy a frame and transfer the bits worth keeping across…..

Views please?

Also if I were to sell my hybrid any ideas what I should sell it for?

Simon-E

I’d buy a road bike. I’m not sure there is any need to buy a women-specific model, but the only answer is to have a look around, make a few LBS salesmen work for a living. A friend of mine used her Marin hybrid but once she bought a Trek 1.5 she hardly rode the Marin as the Trek was lighter, faster and handled better, even with panniers.

Size and fit is top priority. I’d argue colour and styling is more important than specification. Why? Because you may well change the drivetrain, wheels etc sooner or later, and they all do the same job, but you won’t change the colour or frame shape.

The main brands compete and churn out terrific bikes. Ones I’d look at first include Giant, Specialized, Boardman but there are lots more besides. You may get a deal on a 2011 model as 2012 bikes will be along soon (if not already).

You could keep the Kona as a commuter/winter/hack bike that you’re not worried about leaving locked up in town, it may be worth more to you than you’d get for it.

mboy
    Free Member

One that fits… Can’t stress that enough!

All the components can be changed if needs be, but getting a frame you’re comfy with is most important. Most of the big brands (Giant, Specialized, Trek, Boardman etc.) all do women’s specific models too, but generally a slightly smaller men’s model will fit most women.

rOcKeTdOg

Spesh ruby are nice

Philby

Buy a new road bike – you will be able to transfer some parts from your hybrid but will need new STI’s which cost a fair sum, and possibly new wheels and tyres depending on the ones you currently have.

In the group I ride with Boardman, Trek, Giant, Specialized and Orbea seem to be popular brands with the women members. The Boardman women’s versions look great IMO and a very good value for money. Might also be worth looking for a well specced secondhand bike for your budget.

As above – fit is critical on a road bike, much more so than on an MTB.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Thank you! Just been out to have a little look and had a ride of an orbea aqua TTG which seems a very nice bike and good value for the money (although a little over budget!) The TSR was ok… Seems I need a 57 frame with a slightly shorter stem than standard.

Also looking at the canyon roadlite 5.0 but can’t test that as only direct from germany.

Didn’t like the specialized dolce to look at, but do like the boardman’s just a shame the staff in the local shop that stock them are useless!

Saw the Scott Contessa and Canondale Synapse as well, but didn’t get a chance to ride.

Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in York or Leeds that would be worth a visit?

Found a local shop that do a bike

mboy
    Free Member

Seems I need a 57 frame with a slightly shorter stem than standard.

Christ, how tall are you? Very large frame for a woman to need! I’m a 5ft11 bloke and ride a 54cm frame…

If you really do need such a large frame cos you’re so tall, just look at blokes bikes, but like you say fit a shorter stem. Or go for a size down and run with more seatpost showing.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i recently bought a road bike, and initially i was looking at the cannondale synapse (this was back in early may, and i was speaking to leisurelkaes bikes who wouldnt have them in until august ? anyway i went round to other bike shops like you do and ended up in Leeds and bought the Specialized Dolce….. its a great bike for the money ! anyway heres their website…
    oh ps… the forks have Zertz inserts

http://www.leedsbicycle.com/

wallop

Seems I need a 57 frame with a slightly shorter stem than standard.

Christ, how tall are you? Very large frame for a woman to need! I’m a 5ft11 bloke and ride a 54cm frame…

If you really do need such a large frame cos you’re so tall, just look at blokes bikes, but like you say fit a shorter stem. Or go for a size down and run with more seatpost showing. [/quote]

This!

I am a 5ft 8 bird and my bike is a 54cm.

wallop

Argh! Quote fail!

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8 but according the the guy in the shop I have a long torso! I tried the 54 but felt hunched up even with the seat up.

Thanks Elaine anne will have a look at the leeds shop.

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmm, what works for the individual I suppose.

My ex was only an inch shorter than you, she could barely get on my 54cm bike! She’d have needed a 50 for sure, and she was relatively long in the torso too.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re doing very well to go to a few shops and try as many out as possible. I would definitely try a few others (I’d try loads of manufacturers as you might be surprised what suits you) and get a second/third opinion on sizing though as they do vary between models and you tend to be on road bikes for much longer than mtbs in one go, so what feels comfortable initially might not be after a few hours! I hope that doesn’t sound patronizing – just speaking from experience! (I thought I’d be ok on small Boardman, but after a few hours in the saddle I wished I’d gone for a better fitting frame even if it wasn’t such cracking value!)

Oh and at 5’8″ with a long torso I imagine plenty of men’s bikes will fit nicely and so you may well be able to get a bargain second hand or in the sales.

Cheers and enjoy the search!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Bianchi and go to Epic Bikes in Worcestershire to get fitted proper

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Womens road bike – which one’ is closed to new replies.