Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Women's road bike sizing for 5'9" and "seen any good deals?"
  • clubber
    Free Member

My wife would love a road bike (she already has an mtb 😉 ) but I’m not quite sure on sizing. She’s 5’9″, 32″ inside leg for trousers. Previously she had a 49cm Felt (Women specific geo) which she liked (but rode very little for various reasons) but from the sizing charts, it seems smaller than recommened. Any women or other halves who could shed any light on their experiences would be very useful.

And to follow on, anyone seen any good deals on bikes to suit – she’s not looking to spend silly money but doesn’t “want a Raleigh” (her words when I showed her some bikes @£300ish). Second hand’s an option for the right thing too.

Thanks in advance.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry no experience as I’m 4″ shorter but a 49cm bike sounds way way too small. I’m riding a 52cm!

With a road bike, I’ve found that it’s more important for sizing so she really needs to try as many as she can. And take them out for longer than a car park circuit.

clubber
    Free Member

I know… I could happily size pretty much any bloke(!) on a road bike but I’m a bit perplexed by women on road bikes as there seems to be a much wider range of styles/positions that work for women if you look at the pro peloton compared to the men’s where almost all have a classic long and low position give or take a little bit.

49cm did sound too small but it didn’t look awful and she was comfortable enough. I don’t really want to go for the 54 or so that ‘should’ fit and find it way off.

maccruiskeen

ms maccruiskeen is about 5’8 and a half. Very much likes her small PX Uncle John as her first excursion into dropped bar bikes. Total duck to water.

it seems smaller than recommened.

same with the PX, bought a medium bike second hand and hardly used for £300ish as, on paper it seemed like it should fit, but its was juuuuust too big so bought a small frame and swapped the bits over.

cinnamon_girl

Well, the good thing is that mens bikes will be fine so more choice!

All you can do is check websites of shops where you live. I think my lbs has a 54cm Scott demo bike.

My 52cm is a great fit and it’s a mens bike, as are all my bikes.

Good luck!

wallop

I’m 5′ 8″ and ride a 54cm Genesis Equilibrium.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks. Useful info. Any others?

druidh
    Free Member

(a) Don’t get too hung up on it being a womans bike. If you get a good deal on a well-fitting mans bike then the cost of a saddle and maybe some narrower bars will be irrelevant. If the STIs are 5700 and up then you can get shims to allow for smaller reach.

(b) Do not assume you can go for a certain frame size across all brands and models and keep looking at those geometry charts. As always, I’d advise sitting on a few.

Yak

Mrs Yak is 5’8″ and rides a 52 secteur. The shop initially thought a 54 would be right, but flexibility/ arm length etc, made the 52 the right size.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m well aware of the variability between brands – I’m trying to get a feel for top tube measurements (which I can find out from the size and brand!).

Thanks Yak.

alwillis

My girlfriend is 5’9″ or there abouts. She rides a 54 Allez and a 54 Cannondale super x I think. I thought both would be too big (they fit me at 5’11”) but she gets on very well with a lower position- due to being more flexible than me I think!

P20

Wor lass (ahsat on here) is 5’9″ and rides a 54cm trek road bike. Ladies saddle, but otherwise stock

flowerpower
    Free Member

5’7″ (with a 31″ inside leg) and ride a 52cm Orbea (womens I think) and a 52cm Spa Cycles Audax bike (mens).

The Orbea was my first road bike and a lucky guess off Ebay, but with a pick up close to my parents so I could try before I finally handed over the money. It is really hard to tell on a 5 minute test though, so I bought it with the idea that I could re sell it if it didn’t feel good on longer rides.

Trying the bike is ideal, but there are some great Ebay buys on smaller frames, might be worth looking with a ‘sell it on if it doesn’t fit’ attitude.

karnali
    Free Member

i’m 5’9 and mrs k is a smidge under 5’8 she rides a 54 allez with 90mm stem and on occaision my med px superlight, which is for sale in the classifieds as it happens 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Women's road bike sizing for 5'9" and "seen any good deals?"’ is closed to new replies.