Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Women of STW – what gearing do you run on your CX bikes?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Just bought a CX bike (yay!) & haven’t had a chance to rise it properly yet, but a quick blast round the block indicate I’m probably going to be over-geared. The rings are 38/46 & even in the ‘small ring’ the steep little access road behind our house felt pretty tough.

Obviously, I’ll go for a proper ride or two first but I’m thinking a 34/? is going to be more my cup of tea. Also wondering if a single ring might be more than enough for me since I won’t be racing.

Any thoughts/experiences? Particularly from other women?

Thanks!

Oh and cassette is 12-27 I think

aP
    Free Member

Herself has 46/36 with a 13/29 block.

crispycross
    Free Member

Last season, my team-mate was running 34 or 36 with 12-27 cassettes. We got rid of the big ring, a 46, because she never used it off-road, shortened the chain, removed the gear cable and used the front mech as a chain keeper. Worked a treat.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ooh I like that idea crispycross! I’m quite keen to avoid spending more money at this stage when it’s all so new, though obviously I’d still need a new ring as I think 38 will be too big. Does she need to run a bash with it too? And does the standand ring keep the chain on Ok, even being ramped?

Also good to know that it’s not just me that finds my gearing a bit steep!

ahsat

I have 46/36 and 11spd 11-32 on the back. Its pretty hilly round here and wanted a set up that didn’t put me off on the not-so-fit days. Works well but still pushes me.

nemesis
    Free Member

I use a 34 and 11-28 which is pretty spot on. I’m a big, strong bloke though but it definitely suggests you’d do well to lower your gearing

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

nemesis – that does make me feel better, thanks!

With a 1 x 10 set up, what do you use to keep your chain on at the front?

nemesis
    Free Member

Either a front mech, chain device or NW chainring. Or a combination of you want to be really secure.

bikehamster

I run 50/34 with a 12-30 at the back. I use my CX about 80% on road so find the big ring at the front quite useful. However, if I was only (mostly) riding off road I could probably lose it as I tend to go straight to the little ring when I go off piste. They’re great bikes – love the ability to see a bit of a track or bridleway and think, “What’s down there..?” 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool. Do you reckon a front mech/chain device with just a normal ring would do the trick?

They’re great bikes – love the ability to see a bit of a track or bridleway and think, “What’s down there..?”

Yep, hit the nail on the head there, that’s exactly why I’ve gone for one. 🙂

My other two bike (mtb & road) are both ss so I think I’ll be happy enough with just 10 gears, even if I do spin out on the road a bit, most of the time, I hope to be at least on bridleways and the like.

Just trying to work out how to do it most cheaply and without taking things so far that I can’t easily put it back to stock, given that it’s all quite new and I may want to change the bike itself if I don’t get on with it for whatever reason..

nemesis
    Free Member

Cheapest way will be to just use the front mech with a new 34 and that’ll work fine. An old elastomer or similar in the front mech cage above the chain will make it even better.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cheapest way will be to just use the front mech with a new 34 and that’ll work fine.

Excellent.

An old elastomer or similar in the front mech cage above the chain will make it even better.

What an elastomer?

nemesis
    Free Member

You’re new to this, aren’t you 🙂

Elastomer were rubber springs used in suspension forks of yore. Basically you use it to fill the space in the front mech mech cage above the chain so it can’t bounce off.

legolam
    Free Member

I have 36/46 with an 11-28 rear cassette on my caadx. That’s got me up everything I’ve attempted so far, although I’ve occasionally wished for a 34T front ring on the occasional very steep hill. I found it a bit difficult to begin with but, as I’ve got fitter, I don’t think I’d change it now.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ah, I see. And yep, I’m a rookie, tis true!

Thanks for the tips and advice, very much appreciated (and clearly needed!)

nick1962
    Free Member

I think that 36/46 and 38/46 combos are for proper CX racing.
    My Boardman CX is 50/34 with an 11/32 cassette which is pretty versatile for general on and off road use rather than racing.
    I am a man btw 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I think that 36/46 and 38/46 combos are for proper CX racing.

Yeah, all the replies (thanks everyone) are definitely making me feel less of a wuss for wanting to change it after only one ride around the block!

My Boardman CX is 50/34 with an 11/32 cassette which is pretty versatile for general on and off road

Yep, that’s my other option as I’d ideally like 165mm cranks anyway, so I’m wondering about just changing the whole chainset. Only worry is persuading the husband! 😉

I bought my Tricross off a fairly fast woman CX racer.
    It’s got a triple on the front. Without going ouside and checking, I’m pretty sure it’s standard MTB gearing; 22/32/42 x 11-32.

I’m a big strong bloke and a single speeder too, and I rarely use the big ring. Never off road and only when I’ve really got it wound up on the road.
    I tend to only use the small ring because it’s there as a bail out gear well.
    I’d probably manage fine 90% of the time on 1×10, 32×11-32 or similar.

timidwheeler

33/46 11-28.
    I really struggle on short, steep off-road climbs. I just don’t have the power to climb seated. As soon as I stand my thin roadyish tires fail to grip.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. Maybe even a 34t might be tougher than I need then? Having said that, I am pretty light so not a bad climber, and do have some good racing Ralph’s, which cane on the bike. But yeah… Certainly the more I read on here the more I think 1 x 10 will do me.

Think I might start by trying to find a cheap 34t ring & take it from there…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Women of STW – what gearing do you run on your CX bikes?’ is closed to new replies.