Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Women moaning about retirement age…
  • ourmaninthenorth

I’m not trolling I’m deadly serious

OK. So what you’re saying is that in the limited world view of your work experiences you consider procreation to be a lifestyle choice but don’t consider the wider implicaitons of this.

That’s fine, but don’t make your specific gripe a general rule.

footflaps

Move to Saudi – women can’t drive nor vote!

TheBrick
    Free Member

how is that relevant?

Trekster

I can’t understand why youth unemployment stands at almost 1 million.

A good number of employers want the “quick fix”
    ie employ someone who can do the job rather than train someone, especially a young person glued to a phone needing rehab if they have to switch it off for more then 1/2hr 🙄
    However there a lot of good kids out there who could probably do a job if schools were providing education other than for those who are being pushed towards uni. The “new” fashionable idea of creating technical colleges is not “new”, I am a product of a tech college from the 70s. My son was in the very last class of a local engineering college from the90s. Local kids just do not have those opportunties now 😥
    Then there are those unfortunate enough who are truly not able to work due to their mental or physical health.
    Then there are the substance abusers
    Then there are the wasters who know the “system” better than those who administer it 🙄

Fact of life at the moment is that my daughter(teacher) and her partner(civil servant) would be better off (with 2 kids) not working than they are now. They see what some of their neighbours can afford and with first hand experience know what they could have that they cannot afford.

How long we all end up working will be irrelevant once the oil/gas and food resources have dried up 🙄 All this pension guff is just a diversionary tactic. We all know that oil/gas will run dry but no-one has their eye on food production.
    Farming in this country is knackered
    With droughts, floods, global unrest,emerging economies(China/Africa/Vietnam, Russia sometime)there is not enough food for us all.

binners

Trekster – YOU ARE CRESSERS!!!

WE’RE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!! DOOMED I TELL THEE!! I claim my five english pounds

Trekster

Aye………………………
    But I am nearer the end than most on here………………….
    Drought darn sarf atm affecting food chain
    ekin rain bouncing off the road here atm affecting crops/foo chain….. and my biking 🙄
    Roll on Fri 😆

MrOvershoot

Trekster – Member

We all know that oil/gas will run dry but no-one has their eye on food production.
    Farming in this country is knackered

I would agree with much of what you said here, but are you sure about the farming bit?

binners

I’m banking on the fact that by the time I reach ‘retirement age’, the whole concept will be a quaint little relic from the olden days.

I imagine it being like Catch 22. When they raise the missions from 25 to 30 as he’s flying his 25th, then they raise the missions from 30 to 35 as he’s flying his 30th, and so on and so forth

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m a woman, and I think we should have the same retirement age as men, seems ridiculous that we get to throw in the towel five years earlier

You don’t, they’re already in the process of moving the retirement age for women up to 65. The recent discussions are about moving the retirement age up a further year to 66

What annoys me about the whole thing is when we were applying for mortgages we were limited to the length of the mortgage we could take due to it taking my partner over the age of 65 even though the current projections say that he won’t be entitled to retire until he is 67!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Farmer_John – Member

youth unemployment stands at 1million because 400,000 of the 500K Jobs that were created in the first quarter have been deservedly snapped up by immigrants who get off their butts and managed to find work.

Apparently despite not having jobs, many (by no means all) of our young people really don’t see why they should take a job “beneath them” – it’s much better to engage in a life of sloth.

woohoo six posts until we have a moronic and inaccurate rant more about the posters political posturing than the actual topic.

f_j – are you allowed out on your own?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fact of life at the moment is that my daughter(teacher) and her partner(civil servant) would be better off (with 2 kids) not working than they are now. They see what some of their neighbours can afford and with first hand experience know what they could have that they cannot afford.

Yeah right – ‘cos living on benefits you get soooooooooooo much money – more than two fully employed professional people 🙄

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I am female and I do not think the retirement age should be any different neither does any other female here in the office I have just asked….

This is therefore probably a small group of hairy arm-pitted men haters clutching at something that allows them to have a moan about how s**t it is being female?

Besides working in the 3rd sector for the last 10 years I’m unable to afford to pay into my pension fund so I’m going to move to Africa to look after baby lions, live in a tent and hopefully die of malaria before I reach 60, dying in the arms of my 21 year old boyfriend with a large Chardonnay in my hand.

As you were….. :mrgreen:

zokes
    Free Member

The recent discussions are about moving the retirement age up a further year to 66

So, similar to what they’re doing / have done for the blokes?

binners

…erm… about this 21 year old boyfriend….

I may have lied about my age 😉

ourmaninthenorth

but are you sure about the farming bit?

As of 2008, Britain was around 60% self sufficient, i.e. we needed to import 40% of our food. And we’re a net importer – more comes in than goes out.

Detail here: http://www.ifr.ac.uk/waste/Reports/DEFRA-Ensuring-UK-Food-Security-in-a-changing-world-170708.pdf

Yes, it does smack of “it’s all gone top the dogs”. The simpler answer is – yes, the baby boomers had it relatively easy (they take, on average, c120% of what they put into the system), but we are where we are so let’s make the best of it rather than wringing our hands.

One of those things that we need to do is consider how we change our working practices. Few people consider they ahve a job for life. Many more will need to consider having portfolio careers. Investment in training is essential.

Trouble is, we all think like hels – like islands. We can’t assume the status quo will apply to us and rely on everyone else changing to accomodate that.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Darling sorry but I’m not taking you, I’ve tried camping with you and I couldn’t do it for more than 2 nights even with separate blow up mattresses.

Besides the sun would play havoc with your English rose complexion.

Awotwi will be along for my things later x

philconsequence
    Free Member

Awotwi making his way over to grab yo misses binners!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

From this… in mid 1920 LE was about 55 (for men)… so 65 is ten year OLDER than that. Today LE is 75

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, by those figures are life expectancy from birth which are fantastically misleading if you want to know how long people live after retirement.
    As a gross simplification lets say you live in a country where half the children born die within the first year, but if you make it past that first year, everyone lives to 100. This gives a life expectancy of ~50 years, despite the fact that anyone aged 50 would live another 50 years.
    What you need are stats that give life expectancy at 55 years to get a better feel for how much longer people are living for. Stats at birth don’t tell you anything useful.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Look how handsome he is in pink *fans self*

ebygomm
    Free Member

The recent discussions are about moving the retirement age up a further year to 66

So, similar to what they’re doing / have done for the blokes?

Yes, anyone born after 1960 will have the same retirement age regardless of gender. The new proposals affect retirement age for those born between 1953 and 1960.

In light of this they’re trying to stress the importance of planning for retirement and then at the same time trying to change the pensions of those in the public sector who have planned for retirement…

mrben100
    Free Member

What made me smile was a radio interview with a lady from some organisation who stressed that:

some women of a certain age were going to have to work 2 years longer than expected and have only been given 7 years notice.

To my mind that’s enough notice! 😕

donsimon
    Free Member

To my mind that’s enough notice!

You clearly don’t have much experience of women, do you?

mrben100
    Free Member

😆

EDIT: fair point, i was applying the rational to the irrational – still much to learn I feel!

DaRC_L

So the answer is drink, smoke, party and make merry.
    Ignore any and all medical advise re: not smoking, drinking and generally making merry.
    Tell the kids not to expect an inheritance and/or childcare for their children ‘cos you’ll be brown breaded before you retire 😆

Of course what with life cover I’m worth more dead than alive but shhhhh don’t tell the kids

big_n_daft
    Free Member

don’t know if this has already been mentioned, by those figures are life expectancy from birth which are fantastically misleading if you want to know how long people live after retirement.
    As a gross simplification lets say you live in a country where half the children born die within the first year, but if you make it past that first year, everyone lives to 100. This gives a life expectancy of ~50 years, despite the fact that anyone aged 50 would live another 50 years.
    What you need are stats that give life expectancy at 55 years to get a better feel for how much longer people are living for. Stats at birth don’t tell you anything useful.

nor does your post! 😉

stumpyjon

So the answer is drink, smoke, party and make merry

Well smoking is now pretty limited, latest health advice out today is that if you are over 65 you shouldn’t drink more than a half a day, wahat’s left to be merry about?

Oh and has already been said, we’ve all got sucked into the belief that a comfortable retirement was a right and realistic. In reality it’s not that economically viable unless you save significant amounts of money through out your working life which most of us either can’t (or won’t) do. The private sector is already feeling this reality, the public sector still seem to believe there is a bottomless pit of money to pay their pensions (and if I worked in the public sector I’d be fighting to retain my current T & Cs as well), unfortunately the plain reality is there isn’t. The idea that private sector pensions should be brought up to the quality of public sector pensions is very laudable but not really based in economic reality.

MrOvershoot

ourmaninthenorth – Member

As of 2008, Britain was around 60% self sufficient, i.e. we needed to import 40% of our food. And we’re a net importer – more comes in than goes out.

I don’t dispute that at this time we import food (though IIRC we now import far less than we did in the 1930s!) but do we “need” to if we were to only eat UK grown/reared food I think its possible we would survive.
    Take wheat as an example in the 1960’s we imported nearly 1/2 our wheat now we are a net exporter

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

but do we “need” to if we were to only eat UK grown/reared food I think its possible we would survive.

ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa!

Oh stop, my sides will split.

Not a hope I’m afraid. Maybe if we went GM now and had 20 years notice, while ploughing huge funds into upping efficiency (that would make post-war mechanisation look like chicken feed), removed any and all environmental considerations like hedgerow conservation or townie mega-farm handwringing or water run-off considerations, and forced supermarkets to accept bendy carrots etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I believe that men don’t get a vote in Saudi Arabia either, so at least they’re being scrupulously fair in that respect.

MrOvershoot

I didn’t say it would be easy or everything we have now would remain, I said “Its possible we would survive”

If the figures of 40% imported food are correct, how much do we waste? Many of us probably eat too much? How much of what we import is fancy stuff? By the time we take out those amounts what is the shortfall??

As you say attitudes are going to have to change, hope your sides have stopped hurting 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Oh and can we get them to play/win 3 sets in in Tennis?

(that way we enjoy tennis watching…yes…) 😈

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Yes – plough up Wibbleydon and plant crops (please)…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

From what I have seen, women can’t drive here either.

zokes
    Free Member

Oh stop, my sides will split.

Good, that’ll be one less to feed 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Easier said than done. The problem with that is that any traffic accident there will automatically be my fault. Not a question of women drivers, even though I believe the women over there now have the balls for driving, but a question of not respecting the better driver.

Kevevs
    Free Member

just cos it’s gone to 2 pages on a slow day -this isn’t worth reading is it? yes women age just like men. yes women are just as capable as men. retire ’em just like men. so what?

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, by those figures are life expectancy from birth which are fantastically misleading if you want to know how long people live after retirement.

Though knowing how long somebody is going to live after retirement doesn’t include all the people who make it to adulthood but don’t make it to retirement, hence contribute towards paying for pensions without taking anything out. You only really need to remove infant (and childhood) mortality – people dying in their 40s and 50s are very relevant to pension affordability.

just cos it’s gone to 2 pages on a slow day -this isn’t worth reading is it?

Probably not. As suggested above it seems likely to end up regurgitating the same old opinions and viewpoints. Apologies for perpetuating that by providing my usual stats clarification 🙁

Northwind

Retirement’s a stupid concept really. Work when you’re in your prime, to fund yourself once you’re old and decrepit, assuming you live that long. On the other hand we have young people trying to find work and failing, largely on the grounds that they’re immature idiots. I was, luckily I got to spend that time pissing about at uni instead of being hopelessly illequipped to deal with the adult world.

So let’s do school til 18, piss about til we’re 30 running up immense debts, then work til we die.

Actually sod it, I should do that anyway, my odds of having a long healthy retirement are pretty bloody awful but my odds of having a laugh on a bike if I just don’t go to work tomorrow are not bad at all :mrgreen:

Kevevs
    Free Member

don’t try and confuse me with yer stats clarification!

saleem
    Free Member

I think the idea is you work longer to provide for the lazy arsed women that you’ve married. 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Women moaning about retirement age…’ is closed to new replies.