Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • "Women in sport"
  • tinribz
    Free Member

I may be missing something but the amount of media space drawing special attention to women in sport is, to me, sexist to a significant degree.

Are you against publicity or segregation in youth races because their ageist? 🙄

moose
    Free Member

So we’ll encourage loads more women into a supposed male dominated sport with groups that include/exclude on the basis of gender, thus making it more divisive rather than inclusive? Am I the only one that thinks that’s a little but humorous?

aracer
    Free Member

Do you reckon women only stuff is discouraging women from taking up biking then, or simply not encouraging them? I think there may be one or two small flaws in your logic…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    moose
    Free Member

Maybe quite a few flaws but hey, life goes on. I’m a little tired of the gender politics surrounding the riding of bicycles, I guess it’s another cause for the SJW’s to lead a charge on.

portlyone

I got massively neg propped by pinkbike readers when I suggested that there were less female riders because they fought for less money than the guys. Bit like tennis, why are they given less money? Who cares if they play less sets, is it not quality over quantity?

emsz
    Free Member

There seems no end of women only races and events

Are you actually being serious, our have you checked?

There are no major organised anti-female barriers in the sport that I am aware of

Why don’t you try to make yourself aware of them then?

Look, pressure on young women is immense, to be thin, to be pretty, to be ‘good’ and ‘worthy’. Sport for a lot, no most girls is just out of the question, for loads of reasons, not wanting to look like a tomboy, getting “ugly and muscley”, being sweaty, dirty or just the fact that is not “for us” from disinterest from shops (getting better) and well meaning blokes helping us fix our bikes

Most of the advertising is based around danger and adrenaline, speed, and unwritten is that is “For Real Men Only”

Even going to a trail centre is sometimes a real pain, lost count of the times I’ve been tutted at (mostly on the ups) and I can remember maybe one or two blokes who’ve been genuinely encouraging and supportive.

I know a lot of this stuff is done to women by ourselves, and we’re sometimes our own enemies, but some of us are trying OK? maybe instead of all the “why all this stuff for girls” just a simple shout of “GO GIRL” next next time you see one on the trail? would make us feel a bit more welcome?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

just a simple shout of “GO GIRL”

I’d probably shout ‘GO EMSZ!’

In the same way I never seem to shout ‘GO BOY!’ to men at races.

ie would just seem a bit weird, without overthinking it.

poly
    Free Member

I’m a little tired of the gender politics surrounding the riding of bicycles,

I think there are two different issues, people riding bicycles and people competing on bicycles. I don’t know the stats but I’d guess participation in bicycling by women, from my observations is perhaps 1:3 – covering everything from commuting, shopping, touring, racing, mtbing, family riding etc. Now, that might be OK, because participation in all sorts of recreational activities is not representative, or you might be concerned that women are unwittingly discouraged from taking part in an activity that is good for their health. If we lived in a country with an obesity problem you might think getting as many people as possible active was a good thing, and focusing on the under represented groups might be a good place to focus resources.

Now if you think about women competing on bikes rather than riding purely for fun. I’d guess the number is more like 1:10 or worse! If a sports governing body (whatever the sport) wants to address that in order to grow participation why would anyone object? Unless of course their stereotypical attitudes are being called into question.

Afterall, as a “man” who is already engaged in cycling women only initiatives don’t in anyway stop you just getting on your bike and riding.

Finally given all the bizarre dating and relationship threads on here, I suspect that there are many cyclists who might benefit from more interaction with women! But the misogynistic attitudes we see here from time to time might put some women off.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Finally given all the bizarre dating and relationship threads on here, I suspect that there are many cyclists who might benefit from more interaction with women!

Just actually spat my coffee out. 😆

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I’m all for women in sport whether it’s women only events or mixed. Whatever. I mean the state of the women in this country. It’s incredible. Just compare them to women from other countries and it’s like….oh my gawd why am I still living on this tiny little overcrowded island. Such an eye opener.

So wimmin of the United Kingdom don your spandex and do some sport. Whether it’s star jumps or downhilling.

wallop

Finally given all the bizarre dating and relationship threads on here, I suspect that there are many cyclists who might benefit from more interaction with women! But the misogynistic attitudes we see here from time to time might put some women off.

I agree!! 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The last few replies have, completely unintentionally, been sexist. It’s hilarious! People don’t seem to get what it is. Shout ‘go girl’? Why? You want people to highlight your gender and treat you differently?

Clover

Ok, so I started riding and sometimes racing mountain bikes a few years ago. There are fewer women but it’s not intimidating. The races are on the same course as the men’s races. It’s ok. I’m neither rubbish nor the best. But I like it.

Then I won a road bike. Rode the Tour of Flanders 245km. Thought I’d have a go at a few sportives. Cannot believe how few women there were doing the long courses – got the proper look when I showed up for a 112 miler over Wrynose. I’m slightly taken aback.

Then I look back over this road riding thing. I come from a mindset where you practice and then you do. I trained and then I rode. The Ronde I did was 100km longer than the pro women’s race. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t hard. I don’t really understand completely why there are so few women road riding and racing but it is intimidating. And there are low expectations and I think that becomes self reinforcing. Which doesn’t help.

I have been on some women only race training and it was fantastic – run by the Racing Chance Foundation for the race curious, in case anyone else wants to do it. The first road race in our local series was sold out with 80 women racing because so many of us have completed the training course. No crashes either. I think that this is the way to get the depth of field in races – more if us. And with an entry field that big we get more respect. So, women’s race training is definitely a good thing.

When you have a disparity like 1,200 women to 30,000 men holding race licences it’s completely the right thing. I don’t think it’s sexist. Something needs to be done. If the training I did is anything to go by there are women out there who want to have a go but need a way in.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘"Women in sport"’ is closed to new replies.