Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Women’ bikes – advice please
  • mtbgirl
    Free Member

I am looking to buy a new bike in the next few weeks and of course I have the usual problem of trying to find bikes to demo that fit, whether that be womens specific or mens small. I am 5’4″ and ride a 16.5 inch mens bike at the moment.

I am going to ride a mens stumpjumper fsr on an Evans ride at the beginning of June. The geometry seems pretty similar to the Safire if you compare the tables, and I can try a Trek EX8 wsd size 15.5inch (possibly too small?) I have a budget of around £1550 to £1700 and want a full susser with around 5″ travel prefereably around the 27lb mark. Anyone got any experience of the Specialized Safire or EX8WSD or can anyone suggest other bikes to consider before parting with my cash.

clareymorris

Hi mtbgirl,

I’m 5’7″ and ride a mens 15.5 Trek EX 8 (I do like a smaller bike) so I wouldn’t think it would be too small for you, and you may even get to demo one at that size which I fully recommend!! Honestly, I would rate the trek over the Spesh – without a seconds hesitation……….

Happy spening 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hi again, just noticed this thread so thought I’d let you know I’ve managed to organise a demo on a Trek EX8 WSD – it’s a 15.5 and geometry is idential to the guys. I reckon it’ll be perfect for you (I like Clarey like a chuckable frame so will prob go for the 14.5). Only thing is the shop’s in S. Wales – if you can make a trip to Cwmcarn/Afan though (it’s inbetween the two) then it’d be well worth trying out I reckon. And all 3 trail centres are ace!

Again, I agree with Clarey – I’ve heard a lot more good reviews about the Trek than the Stumpy (not that they’re ‘bad’), apparently the Saphire is really quite a lot shorter, so if you’re used to a men’s frame you might find it a bit too cramped/tall – plus I think it’s supposed to be a bit uninspiring (that’s what people on here have said anyway).

At your height though I definitely wouldn’t look at anything bigger than a 15.5 – although as I say women’s spec might not be the way forward as often they’re too short (hence the Trek might be good), plus it depends on your body geometry.

Anyway, don’t know if that helps, but give me a shout if you want any more info (address in profile)

I’m demoing an Orange 5 this weekend, the Trek next week and the Lapierre Zesty the week after that – so I’ll let you know how I get on! Cheers!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ooh – just reread and saw you can already demo a Trek EX8 in a 15.5 – go for it! 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Women’ bikes – advice please’ is closed to new replies.