Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Woolen or Waterproof socks
  • dave32
    Free Member

I’ve always used seal skins and there great but need some new ones now so what is best now days, stick with what I know or try out some of this merino wool stuff?

Tracey

We have both Seal Skins and the Aldi ones which both work great. Didn’t get on with wool as I don’t like the soggy feel.
    Think Aldi have some in tomorrow

matt_outandabout

I can cope with wet feet, and so use merino….. As long as you then keep wind off, I can stay warm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It really dpeends if you are going to get very wet then wool is best as it will be warmer

that said staying dry is better than wet

It depends on how wet it is basically

mattsccm
    Free Member

Both. One is no substitute for the other.

rone

Wool socks and waterproof shoes really. Shimano MW81 or lake 303. Maybe mini Gators for the 81s help stop water getting down your ankle.

Don’t think anything of those waterproof socks that suck the heat out your feet.

teef
    Free Member

Waterproof socks with merino wool liner:

http://www.dexshell.com/hythermpro.htm

Kept me feet warm & dry the last 2 winters. I believe the Aldi ones are DexShelll but not the ones with the merino liner.

teef
    Free Member
    VanHalen

I find waterproof socks are pointless without waterproof trousers to direct water over the sock. Otherwise they just fill up with water.

Waterproof socks are ok if the grounds wet but it’s not raining.

Waterproof shoes just fill up too. They need drain holes.

We are talking proper, it’s pissing it down and I’m still riding, weather though.

Wool socks and normal shoes. I also have some seal skins that are not 100% waterproof anymore that are perfect when it’s cold and wet.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Waterproof shoes just fill up too

try using spech defrosters and endura singletrack trousers = dry feet

the trousers top water ingress and the boots are 100% waterproof as long as your trousers cover the boot tops.

vorlich
    Free Member

Merino socks in neoprene booties in mavic softshell shoes. Works well for a few hours in freezing conditions

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sealskins suck- they still have not mastered making them foot shaped.

Wool socks for me. Feet stay warmer in my mt91s

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    Sealskins suck- they still have not mastered making them foot shaped…

I reckon SealSkinz have to be bought 1 size up. Then they work brilliantly.

I go crunching through ice wearing SealSkinz with my Keen sandals. (Sandals because they drain better than shoes). Feet stay warm, better than waterproof boots.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Woolen or Waterproof socks’ is closed to new replies.