Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 272 total)
  • Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve decided not to bother until some of the other companies have brought theirs out, you’re definitely paying a premium at the moment and it’d be good to see some reviews after they’ve been in the wild for a bit!

oxym0r0n

If it works the same as XX1 – I’m in! A friend with XX1 on his tallboy put it through its paces on Dartmoor the other day with no dropped chain and plenty around since before the Olympics, so quite a while in testing.
    Goldtec – end of this month (on the phone) 🙁
    Absoluteblack – May sometime (website) 🙁
    Works don’t seem to have 104bcd on their site 🙁

oxym0r0n

Ordered 32t – fingers crossed :mrgreen:

Anyone want to buy an E13 XCX-ST 😉

EDIT: For me, this is a great solution, as the XCX is not very compatible with Solaris frame + 32t ring + RF turbine cranks. I can’t get it quite far enough towards the seattube to get the chain central or low enough over the ring without it fouling the tabs on the chainset…

Burchy1
    Free Member

Works FB page reckons end of April for 104bcd rings.

oxym0r0n

Works FB page reckons end of April for 104bcd rings

Looks like a 34t first

Absoloute Black – just had a phone call back and looking at 6 weeks – no price yet

Gotama
    Free Member

Oxymoron – Do you know what the smallest size Goldtec will be doing is?

oxym0r0n

Oxymoron – Do you know what the smallest size Goldtec will be doing is?

No – sorry – I am not linked to them in any way, just had a phone call earlier today before pressing the button on the Wolf

Tazzy might know more – Goldtec said they will keep people informed on their Facebook site 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

No worries, will give them a call sometime, was just on the offchance.

MrPottatoHead

Excuse the ignorance…will these work on a 10speed setup or are 11 speed chains a different thickness?

singlespeedstu

The Wolf Tooth is designed to work with 10 speed.

Hi, we will have 104bcd rings in black ready by the end of the month – 32-38t

SRAM spiderless rings will be ready at the same time – 28-36t, again in black.

As our stock levels increase we will introduce colours – plenty of them 🙂

There wont be huge quantities available but we make them in house so stock will be replenished constantly.

30t 104bcd wont be high on the priorities list at the moment so if you are after a ring in that size Wolf Tooth seem like your people to contact.

Thanks! Rick@Works Components

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Excuse the ignorance…will these work on a 10speed setup or are 11 speed chains a different thickness?

Screw that! We want a 9 speed compatible one.

singlespeedstu

I’ve tried a nine speed chain on there and it fits fine.

You just need a nine speed clutch mech to go with it. 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

You just need a nine speed clutch mech to go with it.

I have an X9 shifter and a man with a milling machine. Any Shimano clutch mech will do.

singlespeedstu

Can’t see why it won’t work then. 🙂

oxym0r0n

Any update on your chainring in use Stu?

I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, but it looks like the Works one might be out before I get mine 😥

Northwind

Just pre-ordered my Works one- 32T, black, £30! Not much of a gamble at that price. Doesn’t look the lightest from the proto pics but we’ll see what comes out. Will be combining it with a clutch mech on a bike that’s already maybe 9/10ths sorted so hopefully it will be the 1/10th. No expectation of binning the top guide though.

singlespeedstu – Member

You just need a nine speed clutch mech to go with it.

9.5 speed works- sram 9 speed shifter + shimano 10 speed mech + wee simple spacer

Gee76
    Free Member

Anyone aware of an impending 80bcd version at all (raceface next/turbine & sram fitting) in maybe 28 or 30 tooth?.

What’s with the 9.5 mod northwind, intrigued?… Wee spacer??

Northwind

Hi Gee, don’t want to derail but if you search my posts (probably X9 and XT or throw in spacer) you ought to find some pics etc- basically you add a wee standoff spacer to the point where the cable bolts to the mech, and it changes the cable pull ratio to match old SRAM. Lenghtens the lever essentiallu

Gee76
    Free Member

No worries I’ll do some digging, curious engineer in me trying to figure out where that extra click comes from.

Just need to find an xx1 type 80 bcd ring now. Any rumours anywhere?

Northwind

The clicks all live in the shifter so as long as you can match the cable pull, it all works out (just like 9-speed mtb mechs on 10-speed road shifters and cassette) I’m using 9-speed shifter, cassette and chain, 10-speed mech.

Just pre-ordered my Works one- 32T, black, £30! Not much of a gamble at that price. Doesn’t look the lightest from the proto pics but we’ll see what comes out. Will be combining it with a clutch mech on a bike that’s already maybe 9/10ths sorted so hopefully it will be the 1/10th. No expectation of binning the top guide though.

Thankyou for the order Northwind – Rings will come in under 40g for 32t so while not the very lightest, they are not porkers, they are machined on both sides.

As it happens, i have just fitted a 10spd Shimano mech to an XO 9spd setup – 6mm spacer added and it shifts well.

My opinion is that a top guide should still be used as there is no increase in drag and the weight penalty is minimal.
    One of our test riders has been running our ring with top guide only with no chain issues while his friend on an identical Trek (same model and drivetrain except chainring) repeatedly looses the chain.

We will consider other BCD rings after we have the most common in stock – pop us an e-mail or post on our facebook page if you have a request.

Thanks! Rick@Works

Northwind

rickatworkscomponents – Member

As it happens, i have just fitted a 10spd Shimano mech to an XO 9spd setup – 6mm spacer added and it shifts well.

Heh. The main reason I’ve not had a bunch made up (*) to sell is that I assumed someone else will come along and do it first, there seems to be a demand… Will it be you guys? 🙂

(* I am the worst machinist)

To be honest i did not think of making them to re-sell, but if there is a little demand and i get some time i could make a few and pop them on the site for a fiver or something… (its the getting time part that may stop that happening!)

crankrider
    Free Member

Just pre-ordered mine too, like Northwind at £30.00 even if it is no better than the ring on there its still a decent price for a 7075 ring….

Might try and ditch the guide altogether for a bit contrary to your advice though Rick 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Interesting stuff, I fancy making my FF29 1×10.

I shall keep my eyes peeled

crankrider
    Free Member

In my eyes, one of the biggest benefits is keeping that chain on without a lower roller / guide.

To me they just add drag, get clogged with crap and in some cases then crack or just fall apart, especially if you spray the wrong lube on them… 1X 9,10,11 with a top only guide only from now on for all of my mtb’s…

Cant wait for SRAM To trickle down the 11 speed tech into X9 too, no word from shimano as to what they are planning though – not like them to ‘fall behind’.

DanW
    Free Member

Contacted Wolftooth and they were confident the chain should stay put without a chain guide or clutch rear mech- has anyone tried this combination?

I am not sure I am convinced but am curious all the same…

oxym0r0n

Contacted Wolftooth and they were confident the chain should stay put without a chain guide or clutch rear mech- has anyone tried this combination?

That’s why I’m waiting for an update from Stu – I haven’t got mine yet to try it, but hope it works cos I can’t get a chainguide to fit well on my bike

I’m pretty sure they say you do need a clutch tho

crankrider
    Free Member

You definately need the clutch mech, wolf seems like an xc type riding lot im going to try the works one without a guide too and see how i do, i think if your racing or really pushing it then a guide is a must though, unless you cant fit one i suppose.
    My pet hate is lower guides though.

I hear raceface rings will be £38 and look nice, that wolf tooth one looks very overpriced now except the 30t- especially as you need to import it, i would rather wait a week and pay half, i can see them halving pricing soon, which may annoy the early customers?…..

Vortexracing

Glad to see you have added the 30t one on your list for mid may Rick. 😀

how do I pre-order one?

Gee76
    Free Member

Ahem I’m pretty sure I got me obscure 80bcd 28 or 30t request in first 😉

When’s it due Rick?

Good luck for Sundays race by the way Dave cannae see me gatecrashing. Mad keen to try out me new wheels too.

butterbean
    Free Member

I am not sure I am convinced but am curious all the same…

I’d be amazed if they do, as the slightly worm XX1 I used was useless, and everyone who I have ridden with who has used it says the same.

Brand new, great.

Vortexracing

well Gee, the 30t is on the website 😉

Holyzeus
    Free Member

May for the 30T, you can pre order it at a discount

Vortexracing

May for the 30T, you can pre order it at a discount

great, I can only see the 32t as the lowest on the pull down menu.

do you have to mail them?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I was looking last night, sure it was there.
    On the phone at mo so cant look, try asking on their FB page

njee20
    Free Member

[Quote]I’d be amazed if they do, as the slightly worm XX1 I used was useless, and everyone who I have ridden with who has used it says the same.
    Brand new, great.[/quote]

Mmm, that was my worry. With intricate machining like that you’ll loose the profiling pretty quickly.

crankrider
    Free Member

Looking at things, the XX1 has hooked directional teeth too – is this what wears quickly?

Doesnt look like Works, RF, E13 etc have this feature – patent?

SRAM stated the thick / thin thing came about from slow motion footage of chains jumping – they found it was side-to-side movement that allowed it to come off, so i suppose the thick / thin thing has the biggest benefit.

TBH i cant see ‘standard’ tooth single rings existing in a few years, why bother? – Even if the benefits diminish due to wear price isnt any greater = no brainer (E13 are experimenting with coatings now though to prolong life)

mrtee
    Free Member

first offroad ride today with the wolftooth 30t & general lee 40t cassette

Does exactly what it says on the tin, no drops. So nice riding without a chain device & lower roller – silent smooth etc. General Lee 40t shifted as well as the Sram cogs. Just see how long everthing lasts..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 272 total)

The topic ‘Wolf Tooth Components. XX1 type chainring’ is closed to new replies.