Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Woburn sands
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Heading over to woburn sands in the morning, what’s the best time to get there to beat the crowds pouring into the car parks?

Any tips on routes, should I just follow the markers(is it marked?) for the longslade trail/red route? Assuming it’s complete..

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Plenty of parking around the whole area. Before 11 is best but you shouldn’t struggle unless it turns out particularly nice weather wise. Longslade is posted but unsure if in totality. The best advice for visitors is to either ask fellow riders or follow riders. You can come ten times and miss loads; and it’s not just Woburn sands, it’s actually 4 or 5 wooded areas of which Sands is one – additionally you have Rushmere country park on the other side of the A5 to extend your loop to many hours.

Enjoy.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Cheers Paul, I got up at 6 this morning looked out the window to see it peeing down and turning to sleet!
    Needless to say I got back in bed.. It’s a 40 minute drive for me.

Although it has brightened up now, but not sure it’s worth the ear bashing I’ll get off the Mrs, as I didn’t go at the crack of dawn!!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Went this afternoon, to be honest I prefer swinley… Just didn’t really enjoy it, might help if I knew where the best parts are..
    Did some of the longslade trail and got bored so ventured off that track…

maxtorque

It’s not a trail centre (yet!) which is the best bit about it. Also, it has proper tech hidden in the woods, much more so than the ‘ride by numbers’ routes at Swiners……

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Come back and get exploring. Swim let is, to use a 90’s teenager phrase, “a bit gay” by comparison. There’s some good off-piste at swinley but elsewise its a bit meh. Woburn isn’t and never will be a trail centre but offers some great stuff considering the elevation.

Trimix
    Free Member

I ride in both, Woburn has some brilliant off piste pixie built stuff.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Woburn isn’t and never will be a trail centre but offers some great stuff considering the elevation.

This.

It’s a common misconception that Woburn is a trail centre. It’s certainly not. It’s been built up through myth and legend and most riders who come for far and wide leave probably not getting the most out of it. Yes the Jump park and new XC route give it the illusion of being managed but it’s very piecemeal. Unfortunately the only way to get best out of it is either living nearby or riding with those that do. Generally the better trails shouldn’t really be there but the trust turns a blind eye for the most part.

Local knowledge is very much key when you first start to explore.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Woburn sands’ is closed to new replies.