Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Woburn Sands
  • Legoman
    Free Member

Gonna check out Woburn this weekend as it’s a good mid-way meet point for me and a mate.

Any tips from locals or regulars? Any bits worth serving out or avoiding?

Also wondering where to park close to the trails – in Woburn Sands itself or Aspley Heath?

Cheers in advance.

maxtorque

It’s not really a big area, and the days of the truly “hidden” woburn trails are long gone. Most stuff is easy to spot if you keep your eyes open. Being sandy, the higher trails dry quickly, but the lower back woods bits tend to be a bit of a bog fest at this time of year.

For a first timer, park off the A5130 in the nice big layby:

here

and just head into the trails from here 😉

Legoman
    Free Member

Cheers Max – will we manage to string together a couple of hours riding?

wiiija
    Free Member

It’s been a few years since I last went but I went with some people who knew their way around there and it was great, fast forward a couple of months and I went alone and struggled to find any decent riding, it’s one of those places where you need some knowledge in my opinion, unless its different now.

tymbian
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, session a few different runs then head over to Aspley woods.

Jamz
    Free Member

The layby that maxtorque mentioned is a good place to park and you’ll be able to get to the bike park easily from there. That will provide plenty of short mini dh/jumpy sort if runs which is enough to keep me occupied for most of the day!

However, if you’re looking for more of a XC/trail ride sort of thing then you can venture into the rest of the woods. There are many other slightly longer downhill trails that you can link up by riding along the sandy paths that criss cross the woods. The only problem is that some of these can be quite difficult to find and this is made worse by the fact that there are so many bridleways/footpaths all over the place.

My advice would be either to find some other riders to ask or follow the bike tracks (its very sandy so they’re easy enough to spot). Here’s a map to show you where you can find trails:

Trail Map

Best bet is just to ride everywhere and see what you can find really, the woods aren’t particularly big so you can’t really get too lost. Just have to watch out for horses and footpaths and those sorts of things because the it can get quite busy.

marko75
    Free Member

if you go on sunday try Cyclone FB Link very friendly bunch!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Woburn Sands’ is closed to new replies.